Hello from western KS

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hello from western KS

Postby Rhambama » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Hello all!

My name is Luke, I am currently student teaching Agriculture in Norton, KS.

Blues is my biggest passion in life, especially Hill Country Blues (I've heard it referred to as "Juke-Joint Blues" though). I absolutely love collecting blues albums and studying the genre.

I came here to this board to learn more about blues harp and guitar. I am especially interested in perfecting my tone electrically. I look forward to learning from you all.

Thanks so much!

--Luke
Rhambama
Regular

Re: Hello from western KS

Postby ricochet » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:58 am

Hey Luke welcome.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 am

Hey! Hello from another Kansan (wichita)
1four5
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 am

1four, how good is the blues scene down there? I know Moreland and Arbuckle are down there. I love those guys.
Rhambama
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks for the welcome all!
Rhambama
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:24 am

Rhambama wrote:1four, how good is the blues scene down there? I know Moreland and Arbuckle are down there. I love those guys.

I just happened to catch Dustin Arbuckle at BB's in KC a week ago. He dropped in on Lee McBee's show. I think he had soon throat issues. I know their schedule had them in St Louis that night. I happened to be wearing a Moreland and Arbuckle shirt so it must have been destiny. We try to see them whenever we can, which is getting tough with them playing up North so much.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rhambama » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:11 am

I heard some rumors about them maybe having a new album coming out. What's the word on the street?
Rhambama
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:17 am

1four, how good is the blues scene down there?
I haven't followed the blues scene here (wichita) since the Cyote club closed down in the early 90's and I got out of the club scene and boozing altogether (and got old). So I can't answer your question. However, I have heard that the old Cyote re-opened in recent years as the Roadhouse, and is a happening place, but I've not been there. In fact, I'm just personally getting back to my blues. I've been working the last few years as a country/gospel banjo player and it's been quite a chore to get up to speed. But that's coming together and I'm finding time for my own stuff again, and getting back to the big road is part of that to.

hey if you ever come through wichita, let me know
1four5
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 am

Thanks 1four, I'll hit you up next time I'm down that way.
Rhambama
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Rhambama wrote:I heard some rumors about them maybe having a new album coming out. What's the word on the street?

Dustin didn't mention it. They have a new booking agent, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning something new.
He did mention that they wouldn't be playing BB's Lawnside in the near future. Out on the road I guess.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rhambama » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:24 pm

1armbandit wrote:
Rhambama wrote:I heard some rumors about them maybe having a new album coming out. What's the word on the street?

Dustin didn't mention it. They have a new booking agent, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning something new.
He did mention that they wouldn't be playing BB's Lawnside in the near future. Out on the road I guess.

Jack

I had heard that too! Though I was a little teetotaled at the concert. I had thought their drummer told me that they had a new label.

Man, I was hoping they went to Fat Possum!
Rhambama
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Did you see M&A at the Smokey Hill River Fest in Salina? We talked with them a bit there.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rhambama » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:14 am

No, it was short concert at The Bottleneck in Lawrence. They played a couple Kimbrough songs and we requested "Meet Me In The City" which they were happy to oblige. Dustin said that they "couldn't turn down a request for the old songs."

Here is a pic of them at this concert taken by my friend with her Lomo camera:

Rhambama
Regular

Return to A Bit About You