New Boy

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

New Boy

Postby Garrysmith » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:35 pm

Resident in NW London
Playing for more years than I care to think about, mostly stuff related to the Blues.
Slide is my thing.
About a year ago got a Regal tricone thinking it would be just another tonal colour on my palette.
It has become my palette. If I'd known it was going to take over my life like this I would have spent more money.
I have become involved in acoustic music again and regularly attend open mics and folk clubs, after about 25 yrs away from the latter.
This is what I do....

http://www.myspace.com/garrymsmith
Garrysmith
Regular

Re: New Boy

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Welcome!

Nothing's wrong with a Regal tricone.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Garrysmith » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Ah, the very bloke I was told in Another Place that I needed to speak to. I understand you're familiar with the details of the mysterious "mushroom mod". Can you lighten my darkness as to what exactly this involves ans what effect I might expect it to have?
Garrysmith
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:24 pm

NW London? How distant from the fabled land that is Edgeware? My brother's down there, and it's about time I worried his wife again with my disreputable influence on the poor thumbstruck nit.

New boys normally get the drinks in, but at southern prices, I think I'd better load the tanker up before I set off.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:26 pm

While I think, you doing Swanage 3/4/5 October? Me, Jakey, hopefully at least one other BRB member down there, lowering the tone and booze lake.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:45 pm

I like your playing!

I really like the ending to Stranger to the Blues
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Grady's actually the one who called up National and got the suggestion of the Mushroom Mod from Bob, then passed it along to the rest of us on the Guitar Seminars forum several years ago. If you have a tricone with three mushrooms, pull out the middle one. Loosen the top one and move it as near the neck as you can. Ends up somewhere between the 15th and 17th frets, IIRC. Opens up the back to vibrate more freely, increasing volume and bass response.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 pm

Garrysmith wrote:Resident in NW London
Playing for more years than I care to think about, mostly stuff related to the Blues.
Slide is my thing.
About a year ago got a Regal tricone thinking it would be just another tonal colour on my palette.
It has become my palette. If I'd known it was going to take over my life like this I would have spent more money.
I have become involved in acoustic music again and regularly attend open mics and folk clubs, after about 25 yrs away from the latter.
This is what I do....

http://www.myspace.com/garrymsmith

Hiya,

Nice to have another Londoner hanging about the place (even if you are the wrong side of the river :D )

Which open mics and folk clubs do you go to?
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Return to A Bit About You