Please allow me to introduce myself...

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:03 am

Nah, ain't a man of wealth nor taste. I have spent my whole life avoiding respectability and to a large extent have succeeded. I played my first gig in 1966 so I guess I qualify for geezerdom. Started off playing MiddleClassNewYorkJewishKidBlues. Got sidetracked by a journeyman Chuck Berry-esque rock & roll outfit for alot of years. Then I moved to Mississippi and back to where I started. Today I ain't in Mississippi any longer and the electrics have been largely exiled to their cases while I live on a steady diet of old Gibson acoustics and even older Kay small body, round soundhole archtops - all fired by DeArmond pickups slapped across the soundhole. Anyway, nice to be here.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 am

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Welcome to the pile lo-fi. The "geezerdom" virus raced through this place. You'll find that your resume has been copied by many of us old guys. I think my first gig was in about 1964, singing folk songs mic'ed into a Magnatone twin shared with a DeAarmond soundhole pickup in some old rat acoustic git. The money was actually alot better then.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 pm

jeffl wrote:Welcome to the pile lo-fi. The "geezerdom" virus raced through this place. You'll find that your resume has been copied by many of us old guys. I think my first gig was in about 1964, singing folk songs mic'ed into a Magnatone twin shared with a DeAarmond soundhole pickup in some old rat acoustic git. The money was actually alot better then.

Plugged into a Maggie 260 myself for a few years. The flippin' vibrato on those things was unbelieveable.

Think we had alot more chutzpah than talent back in '66. But we did get better.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Anybody I know who had one of those traded it for some solid state p.o.s. and didn't regret it until about 25 years later.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lo-Fi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:30 am

jeffl wrote:Anybody I know who had one of those traded it for some solid state p.o.s. and didn't regret it until about 25 years later.

My Mama didn't raise no foolish child. I traded it but for a 1955 Fender Twin-Amp.

Here it be looking all purty and shiny after a cab restoration by Greg Hopkins. The guitar sitting next to it is a John Black-made Linhoff Special.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 am

Nice!
ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Welcom Lo-fi
Nice git & twin.
I was 11 when you did your first gig, just starting to bug my mama to to get me this Tiesco at the local dept store so I could give up accordian she wanted me to keep playing. I was told yesterday in fact that I won't qulify for geezerdom till I drive a Buick and take naps. 8)

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:12 pm

You know you have hit geezerdom when your daughter is managing the bar you are playing at or when during a gig sometime around the second set you start yelling at the drummer to stop hitting those annoying cymbals.

Nuttin wrong with a Teisco - Hound Dog could sure rock the place with one. Those Teisco Tuilps in partcular were cool looking little geetars. I know a guitar builder who liked 'em so much he is reproducing the body shape.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:38 am

You're supposed to threaten to put your shoe up the drummer's ass.
ricochet
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:50 am

Ya...welcome to the land of .....this.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:13 am

Nice Tele--great to see a guitar without a pieplate stuck to the front
goldbrick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 pm

You're starting to sound like bf.
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You