Strat or Tele?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: Strat or Tele?

Postby multisounds » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi saint and folks,

As soon as someone here said "tele" they're bad azzz!!!! I got a tele. So I'm happy with it. I like the sound of it and it can really kick azzz!! when you required it. However, don't expect it to have "full meat" sound of Gibsons. To get around that-all you need is a pedal or two! :D

Oh btw way, if you need inspiration, Jimmy Page in his younger days was a mad tele user and so I'm told Jeff Beck is as well. But I also like strats as well, especiall maple neck and some say you can have more variety of soundscapes with strat. But that's a matter of choice.

cheers
Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby john67elliott » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:11 pm

I've been a tele player since I was 16...25yrs! Love'em. Have to pay attention to intonation on 'em. I custom built mine. Has a Seymour Duncan mini-hummer at the neck, single SD 5-2 at the bridge. Everything on it is spec'ed by me. With the pup configs, I am able to get about anything but metal (keeps my nephew off of it! :) What REALLY blew me away with this one is with the switch in "both." Sounds JUST like a Gibby 335.... BB-style. Hard to believe, I know.... but true nonetheless. I can get emotional with it quickly! :cry:
john67elliott
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 pm

I agree that you need both (other halves never understand this, I know). But, at the risk of provoking howls of disagreement, I think I found the answer in a Line 6, which gives you umpteen options. (Ducks to avoid the objects thrown by protesters.) My Line 6 plays like a dream.

Of course, I've got a 335 copy too, which plays so nicely I couldn't possible part with it. But who could live with just one electric ...?
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby multisounds » Sun May 24, 2009 4:14 am

But who could live with just one electric

Hi Jane,

Howls of disagreement?? If you have a tele, that's all you need! LOL :D :mrgreen: Ok, just joking!

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:24 am

:twisted: Flying V.

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby multisounds » Mon May 25, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Thunda,

Must admit I do like the look and playability of flying V!! Good choice anyone who ever gets one! :)

multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby unquashable » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:05 pm

I suppose I'm a bit of a Fender boy, my first guitar was a cheapie acousitic Fender and I currently own both a Tele' and a Strat.' I gotta say, I really do not like the Strat's trem bridge. I've got a Dillion guitar with a Bigsby trem and it is great but the Floyd Rose is not for me. I've tried a few methods of keeping the bridge fixed but haven't found a totally satisfactory method. Besides that, Strats are great, but either way I still preffer the sound of my Tele'. The Tele is just so raw. Great sustain too, pluck a string in the mornin' and it's still ringing out at sunset. Playing fingerstyle I can get a great funky spank. Playing slide is... mmmmmmm.... slide...... In short Tele vs. Strat, I say Tele.
unquashable
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:36 pm

I have 2 SG's, 2 Les pauls, had 2 teles, but sold one, 1 Birdland, 1 Epiphone Triumph, 3 Strat copies, and 7 custom shop Strats that I made from Warmoth parts. Way too pricy as they will cost about $800. -$1200 ea. just to build. <-- I guess all that really means is that I'm obsessive compulsive.

Hmmmm, let see..... two of these, two of those, three of those, um, a , seven of those? I guess I voted with my wallet. :lol:

I was a Gibson, Epiphone only picker when I quit. When I started again and told someone I went from Gibsons to Fenders, then my friend told me : "Once you play Strat, You never go bat". <-- I guess he was right, I mean, whatever that means. At least in my case. :mrgreen:
Slacker G
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 am

I've never played a Tele, but have an Epi LP & a Strat. Although I love the Epi for that gritty slide & power sound, I love the feel & the way the Strat plays.
I go with the Fender...
The neck is extremely comfortable to me.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 am

I find I can cover most every base with my Washburn HB-30 (335 copy) and my Peavey t-60. The T-60 is probably the most underrated guitar I've ever played. I love it!! And everyone needs a 335 type, don't they?
blueswrench
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:18 pm

If there is a perfect guitar it is the Tele. Perfect marriage of form and function. Everything you need and nothing you don't. They ain't the easiest guitar to play - it is like you have to pull the music out of them (or is it they pull the music out of you). But once you get the hang of it, a Tele is capable of creating more sounds than anyone would have believed possible.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:47 am

Lo-Fi wrote:They ain't the easiest guitar to play - it is like you have to pull the music out of them

Lo Fi,

OK Please explain to me why a tele is so hard to play. :blink: It has the same scale as most Fender products, it isn't any harder to play than an SG, or a Flying V, or any other Gibson, Gretch, Ibanez, and on and on.

So what sets the Tele apart from all others as being so hard to play? People that say that make it sound like a Tele is a piece of crap that really takes a wizard to play it. My Tele isn't a junker. I can play anything I can play on my SG or Pauls or my F Hole Epiphone. In fact, I would venture to say that my Tele plays easier then a lot of my other guitars. Certainly easier than my Strat on some things.

I have a song on my Soundclick called "Tele Spanking" I did it with my Tele because it was too hard to play on a Strat. And it is just as tricky as anything I play on my Strat, with perhaps less effort due to the following.
You know that when you bend a string on a Strat (With trem) all the other strings detune. I can do double pulls and keep both strings in pitch through out the bend on my Strat, but it sure is a lot easier to do that on my Tele. When you do double bends on a Strat, you have to guess where that second string is going to be and have it pushed up to pitch before you hit it.

So I'm not gettin down wif you, I am just trying to express why I do not understand the logic in the statement that a Tele takes a master to play attitude of some pickers. Maybe they do know something I don't, but I am sure in the dark about it. :blink:

Sorry, had a brain fart when I first posted this I accidentally said easier to do on a Strat when I meant easier to do on a Tele. The way it was it just didn't make any sense. My dumb.
Last edited by Slacker G on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker G
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:38 am

I don't understand that, either. I like Teles.

The Strat is the one I avoid. Don't want anything to do with a trem bridge. I do like to hear one played by someone who knows how!
ricochet
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:44 pm

I turned my Strat to a hardtail from the start. I've never tried the whammy bar.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Sold my strat a few months ago for $300 more than I paid for it new. Rolled that money right over into a LP Jr. One of the best music decisions I've made.
texas blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues