Strat or Tele?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Strat or Tele?

Postby The Saint » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Let me get under some cover for this one! I see an abundance of strats everywhere, and they are powerful full tone instruments. Add the ceramic active pickup and they have a razor sharp edge that is hard to beat, but I am equally impressed by the little tele with the Humbucker. I see more Tele's used in country and Memphis music than anywhere else. Also Ry Cooder could sure make his tele do some sweet things.
What's your take?
The Saint
Regular

Re: Strat or Tele?

Postby texas blues » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:11 am

Strats and Tele's are all cool and the gang but I always feel like I have to wrestle with the necks. I have both. Additionally they can be very thin sounding. Fine and dandy for many applications especially when you want a lot of twang. Both are excellent for blues and rock. I will admit that my Tele and Strats are rarely if ever played. First guitar I grab is my Flying V and second my P90 Les Paul. Gibson guitars feel better to me when I pick them up. The Les Paul I have played since 1980 is the best guitar I have ever played period!

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:43 am

Between the two, Tele for me!

Really I'm more interested in the Gibson types. I love my Agile semihollow 335-alike, and I've been repoing my boy's Agile triple P-90 goldtop since he's been off in New York and galivanting around the world shaking his little tushie on the catwalk. I think I'd like a V, too. GAS is a terrible thing!
ricochet
Regular

Postby The Saint » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:17 am

Damnit The Texan jumped ahead to the next question!!
The Saint
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Tele, any day of the week. Nothing else better.

And if I had to pick between a strat and nothing at all, I think I'd go with nothing.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Well, I wasn't going to say that, but I agree. I often like to LISTEN to Strats, but I don't like playing them. First guitar I played was a Squier Strat, and it's a wonder I kept playing. My boy likes his Highway 1 Strat, though, and pretty much never plays the Tele.
ricochet
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 pm

I like both Strats and Tele and play about 50/50. Tele's have a great palm mute bridge--Strats are a little more bend friendly and dont dig the ribs as bad My Gibsons get lots of bedroom play because they are easier to play but to my ear Fenders are more versatile and sound better ( I like a clean sound )

Also , heaven forbid you only have one guitar, its lots easier to fatten the Fender sound than thin out a Gibson

No guitar is cooler looking than a Tele
goldbrick
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:06 pm

A little more bend friendly? Not really.. if you bend a string on a strat the whole bridge moves and the rest of them go a little bit flat. Kind of ruins it if you're holding one note and bending another.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Not if you screw down the trem like I do
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Direwolf59 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:11 am

I love the sound of Fenders. They are definitely more "challenging" to play than Gibsons or other guitars with a shorter scale length. I've got both, a '75 Strat (hardtail) and '76 Tele Deluxe. The neck on the Deluxe is the absolute best Fender neck I have ever played but with the humbuckers it really doesn't have the typical Fender sound. The neck on the Strat is a lot thicker and harder to play but not so hard as to be a burden. I also have an Ibanez AS73 (335 clone) that is soooo easy to play. If I had to choose it would be my Strat. I worked all summer to save up enough money to buy it and I will never part with it. I call it the first wife.
Direwolf59
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm not very good on guitar, my words, but I like Tele's. My 69 RI Thinline Tele MIM is more guitar than I deserve to have. I'll just stick with that for now. But what does a bass player know about guitars except that most guitars have 2 strings too many. :wha: :blink: :wha:
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 am

That thing about Teles being palm mute friendly, is of course only true if there's no ashtray installed.
ricochet
Regular

Postby TheDude » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Basically you need a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul. That's what I try to explain to the Mrs. :D

Overall, I reckon a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge is probably the most versatile guitar you could have. So if I could only have one guitar, that would be it. Strat, hum-sing-sing pickups, 12" fretboard (or flatter), standard or Wilkinson-style trem. A bit like my Yamaha Pacifica. I also keep it tuned down a half-step to Eb for easy bending.

However, lately I find my Squier Tele and my LP copy get the most playtime. The LP has a Peter Green mod, so they neck pickup is placed the other way around, so the middle-position on the selector-switch sounds a bit thinner. More like a Fender.
TheDude
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Don't forget the 335.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

There might be some funding available in the community music sometime in the future, it would certainly be useful to have a l/h Tele in the storeroom to go alongside my own Strat 8)
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Talking Blues