general opinion on blues

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: general opinion on blues

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:38 pm

stumblin wrote:Ironically, a huge percentage of the people you meet with opinions actually turn out to be arseholes.

They just like to blow 'em out so everyone can share the joy.

Careful about that invitation to share their "expertise," it'll encourage some.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Ya gotta lighten up on these people; I'm sure that some of us share those same types of opinions about "post punk" or country, or whatever. I think it's great that there's so many different genres.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:05 am

Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k
goldbrick
Regular

Postby farmaz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:23 pm

howlnwoof wrote: Patton or Jefferson or Blind Willie Johnson are not usually good places to introduce non blues persons ....... too many people find that hard to listen to , unless they discover and appreciate it in a historical context .....

its kinda the other way round for me, the first blues i heard was muddy waters, then learned of the word Delta & that was me hooked. I went from muddy waters to mcdowell then onto patton, sonhouse, robert johnson which i guess is a kinda odd way to learn of blues. But for some reason that 1930's etc delta style to me is perfect music. I can kinda see why some people may be put off on heraing patton for the first time BUT saying that the power of the music speaks more than anything, it has a soul to it imo.

some good opinions in this post & its kinda made me look at things in a diffrent way BUT saying that i still cant get how people are not hooked the first time they hear Blind willie johnson.
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby maxx england » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 pm

It's a sad fact, many people spend their lives with their emotions safely hidden away where Dark Was The Night can't get at them; it's their loss, all we can do is carry the torch and hope it lights somebody up somewhere.

My own wife likes music purely as a background if she plays it at all, and has never understood that when I listen to a thing, I'm actually listening. Funny little thing, but that's just women for you.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:11 pm

My own wife likes music purely as a background if she plays it at all, and has never understood that when I listen to a thing, I'm actually listening.

Yup , know exactly what you mean ..... music is always going , but when I ask who it is or what the song title is noone seems to know . But when I have something playing , I'm sitting quietly in a chair reading the lyrics or cd insert from front to back .... who played what , who produced it , where it was recorded ..... all important stuff , and if I'm so inclined I will replay a song several times in a row if it really caught my attention .
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby Bournio » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Wanna try being young and into the blues... it's changed at uni, but we still have some fun discussions about people that noone else has heard of, except John Lee Hooker, everyone seems to know him...

Don't get started on the black music, depressing music, etcetcetc. I tend to answer with "what about the Beatles? Indian music... Or Kula Shaker, or... are they not right because they're not Indian?"

I go out of my way playing in front of people to play songs suiting how I'm feeling, so it can be anything from really happy praise-y/dance blues, to really mournful slow minor stuff...to hangover blues with no complicated bits, and not much technical singing!
Bournio
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:05 am

Bournio wrote: Kula Shaker

Now there's a band I haven't thought about in years. I think I have a copy of "K" foating around somewhere.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:
Bournio wrote: Kula Shaker

Now there's a band I haven't thought about in years. I think I have a copy of "K" foating around somewhere.

Oh it's a great album! I like it more than Pigs and Astronaughts!
Bournio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:48 am

I listen to a lot of blues (hence why I'm here) and barely any new music, and most kids my age hate the blues. My mom never cared for it either, until she took me to see Clapton in 2006. Robert Cray opened for him and he laid down some amazing blues songs and my mom fell in love with blues then. Before then, she never cared for it. My stepdad doesn't like it either. He thinks it's boring. Of course, he only listens to the crap that's played over and over again on the classic rock stations. My good friend Shawn will never listen to blues. Ever. Yet he loves to play anything where a pentatonic blues pattern will fit.

I guess I don't know anyone who hates the blues, I just know a lot of people who haven't sat down and actually listened to the blues. They just haven't been converted yet. :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:I listen to a lot of blues (hence why I'm here) and barely any new music, and most kids my age hate the blues. My mom never cared for it either, until she took me to see Clapton in 2006. Robert Cray opened for him and he laid down some amazing blues songs and my mom fell in love with blues then. Before then, she never cared for it. My stepdad doesn't like it either. He thinks it's boring. Of course, he only listens to the crap that's played over and over again on the classic rock stations. My good friend Shawn will never listen to blues. Ever. Yet he loves to play anything where a pentatonic blues pattern will fit.

I guess I don't know anyone who hates the blues, I just know a lot of people who haven't sat down and actually listened to the blues. They just haven't been converted yet. :lol:

Folks who say they don't like blues are like nonsmokers. There are no nonsmokers....just nonbuyers.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:46 pm

World's most annoying phrase relating to the blues:

"Oh just play the blues thing"

Uhmmm... Which? Only to find out they mean a shuffle in 12 bars...
Kinda made me realise why I play solo more, if it doesnt fit bars can change length!
Bournio
Regular

Postby soulkat9 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:25 pm

everyone can understand the blues, thats the best part about it, theres always a reaction to it
soulkat9
Regular

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:47 pm

I grew up in the Mississippi Delta and now I live in the "Hill Country". I don't remember being introduced to the blues any more than I remember first meeting my parents. For me the blues have always been there. When I was a kid, about 12 years old, I had a black friend who used to take me to see Little Milton. From the stage, Little Milton would call me "white spot" because I was the only white person there. Back then (50 years ago) white folks didn't care much for the blues. It was simply called "Race Music". Those were the days of segregated radio stations when Pat Boone would steal Little Richard's music and have a giant hit because he could get air play on white radio stations, and Little Richard went hungry.

Now it seems the whole thing has flip-flopped. Most of the best bluesmen around here are black---not to take any credit away from a few great white blues players like Charlie Mussellwhite, Jimmy Thackery, The Cate Bros, etc---but the audiences are nearly all white. Young black folks like Rap & Hip Hop and think Albert King, B B King, and all the old blues artists are as old fashioned as my own kids think Hank Williams Sr. or Jimmy Rodgers is.

This flip-flop came about in the mid-sixties with the revival of the blues. I personally believe it started when the Rolling Stones refused to appear on the TV show, Shindig, unless Muddy Waters appeared also. The British groups reintroduced me to music I had heard all my life....music that had been done by my own neighbors. Before that, the blues were dead. Mississippi Fred McDowell had gone back to driving a tractor and suddenly he was going to Europe on tour. Fat Possum Records, which is only a stone's throw from where I sit right now is almost fully responsible for the rise in popularity of the Mississippi Hill Country Blues.....mainly because of R. L. Burnside.

Thank God the blues live on, but I think one thing is always for sure. If you are a blues fan or a blues player....you are in a minority group of people.

jbyrd88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:39 pm

jeffl wrote:Blues is a simpler form of music than many other genres,imo, and therein lies the problem for many musicians. The groove or vibe isn't enough for them. Guys who played rock guitar in the 80's, when playing 2 cazillion notes became popular, find blues boring, and the same with the bass players. Alotta rock bassists can't stand playin' blues; they don't get the fine points of it. And for rock drummers, it can be frustrating for 'em when they've gotten away with wailing away on the heads, often without great technique, and then they find out they can't play a decent shuffle to save their ass. Most of us enjoy the things we're good at, and vice versa. As for listeners, they don't get much blues on the radio or MTV,etc., so they don't develop the taste. My wife didn't get the blues for years, but after bein' around me for 25 years now, she's developed a healthy appreciation for it (in spite of my playin', lol?). As an aside, I think if you play too many slow blues tunes for an audience, it can have the same effect as playin' too many slow dance tunes at a bar gig: it runs your crowd out the door.

That may indeed be the perception however, many of the so called shredders and rockers simply can't play the blues. On the surface it does sound simple but it ends there. Blues can be as difficult to play as any form of music. Throw technique out the window and get to the meat of the matter which is tone and feel. Strip away the talent bars, SRVaughnabee pedals and other such wombats and many players are lacking. A good fat vibrato goes a long way.
As for the common listener aspect, a little Seasick Steve thrown out there will have even the most dedicated non blues listener tappin' their toe...

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues