Recommended Blues Listening

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Vote for Pete Anderson

Postby deltatwang » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 am

Hey everyone, for more information on Pete check him out at the following sites:

http://www.myspace.com/PeteAndersonMusic

http://www.Facebook.com/PeteAndersonMusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/peteandersonmusic

He has released his new blues cd "Even Things Up," and his song "Still in Love" has been nominated by the International Songwriting Competition as a best Blues artist. Don't forget to vote for him at the following link.

http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/winners.htm
deltatwang
Regular

Re: Recommended Blues Listening

Postby bruneau » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 pm

I recommend Leadbelly, Charly Patton and jug bands in general.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bruneau » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 am

the bottleneckguitarplayer Bob Brozman.
Very good when he's playing with Yat Kha and Takashi Hirayasu.
The Blue Hula Stomp is a very fine tune too. I've putted on repeat now... oh no that's another thread!
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Disciple » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:49 am

Check out The Reverend Peyton and his Big Damn Band.

Resonator, washboard and basic drum kit with a vocal feel that honors the originators of the traditional delta sound.

Modern and ancient all at the same time.
Disciple
Regular

Postby DonnyK » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Reading this thread has thrown up a few names I'm gonna check out.

Had to re-read 'Cooder's posts' I use that moniker on a football forum I go on, and have a hell of a lot of man love for Tom Waits. Man of my own heart.

My current favourites of the blues would include:
Chris Smither who I think is lyrically the Bob Dylan of country blues, he's amazing.
Albert Cummings who I came across listening to some internet radio station or other. His album with Swamp Yankee in particular. A strong rock and roll, SRV blues playing style. Very rich tone and a bit funkier than a lot of blues I've listened to recently.

As mentioned in my introductory post, also Ian Siegel and Ben Prestage. The former being clearly a Tom Waits devotee (and indeed has some good TW covers on youtube), although does delve into Ryan Adamsy type Alt Country a bit too much for my liking. The latter seems very much from the Seasick Steve brand of blues. Reminds me a bit of Alvin Youngblood Hart actually, seems to mix blues, rock-blues and country.

In fact, Alvin Youngblood Hart goes on to my recommendations aswell

I'm sure everyone on here could name thousands of recommendations so I'll stop there I think
DonnyK
Regular

Postby Disciple » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 am

Another recent find of mine that (new to me) I think is amazing in that he evokes and old feel with a really new a fresh approach is Samuel James.

Slide reso, banjo, acapella and straight guitar that reminds me of Son House or Mississippi John Hurt yet copies nothing from any of them in a straight out way.

Real fresh and totally authentic.

Another cool player is Rick Fines, Canadian boy recorded an album called Solar Powered just a few miles from my home here in the north of Ontario in his totally off grid solar powered cabin / studio. Flat out original with that amazing ability to sound familiar without doing anything that you have ever heard before.
Disciple
Regular

Postby seantp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 pm

I made a great Christmas blues playlist on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 3733072BDE
seantp
Regular

Postby LazyLoren » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:14 am

I agree with an amazing number of these suggestions. You can't overstate the greatness of Blind Willie McTell, Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Davis, Patton, Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, Gatemouth, et al.

Here are some personal picks I didn't see mentioned, though I might have missed them:

Sam Collins (Cryin' Sam Collins and his Git-fiddle, as he was dubbed). The Complete Recorded Works collection on Document is outstanding, despite unusually bad sound quality even for a pre-war reissue disc. "My Road is Rough and Rocky (How Long, How Long)" and "Slow Mama Slow" are standout tracks.

Casey Bill Weldon. There's a good split album on Yazoo Records, half Casey Bill, half Kokomo Arnold. Casey was purportedly married to Memphis Minnie before she was married to Kansas Joe McCoy. "You Shouldn't Do That" is a keeper.

Blind Blake. JSP released everything he ever recorded on five CDs. Many favorites: "Notoriety Woman Blues", "Diddie Wa Diddie", etc.

Blind Joe Reynolds. His handful of tunes can be found on "Son House and the Great Delta Blues Singers" on Document. "Third Street Woman Blues" is exceptional.

Bo Carter. Yazoo released two or three albums, two available on CD. "All Around Man", "The Law's Gonna Step on You", "Cigarette Blues", "My Baby", all great stuff.

This post seems to be getting beyond my powers of restraint, so I'll stop.
LazyLoren
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 pm

I found radio66.be, online radio, and they play a loop of god old stuff and some new. Also, they throw up some different versions of things. This is how I came upon Slim Harpo's version of Folsom Prison. Halfway to heavy rock, and if you play the riff with chorus and delay and reverb, you too can be Led Zep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBoMp1qs7U
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Justin Case » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Merry Christmas, all.

I don't believe I saw a couple of my favorites until the fifth page here: Otis Rush and Magic Sam. To me, Sam's best album was Black Magic because he added the great saxman Eddie Shaw, later to lead Howlin' Wolf's band and one of the few blues sax players to lead his own band (still active, too). Another sideman to look for because he always made the band better is drummer Fred Below; likewise pianist Lafayette Leake. Back then, I took a few chances on players I hadn't heard because of some of the bandmembers; Billy Boy Arnold (More Blues from the Southside)) and Jimmy Dawkins come to mind.

Obviously, I like that late sixties Chicago stuff, so why wasn't Delmark included in that great label listing? The quality of their output was only equaled by Chess, but maybe that's just my taste.

I didn't notice the Animals, either, but if you like Brit Blues the 1964 debut release from Manfred Mann was as bluesy as any. I know that might be hard to believe, but if you can locate it, check it out.

Finally, Taj Mahal's debut (with Ry Cooder) and second albums were California blues classics of that era.
Justin Case
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:30 am

Got the complete recordings of Barbecue Bob (3 CDs), and Peg Leg Howell with Eddie Anthony (2CDs) from Document in the UK. Really enjoying the Barbecue Bob, not many duds there, great guitar and voice. A little less the Peg Leg, not a fan of violin of which there is a fair bit, but some good songs mixed in there, Canned Heat Blues, New Jelly Roll Blues, and quite a few others.

Hadn't really listened to much Atlanta blues, just Blind Willie McTell from Georgia really. Quite impressed.
k1w1
Regular

Postby rodman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Check out the song GTR by Robert Farrell from Canada . I've been listening to the podcast" Nothing But The Blues" . A new one hour show every week , downloaded free off I-Tunes . Comes from U.K. , no commercials , not much talk , all blues , some new and mostly old . I've heard a lot of old blues players that I wouldn't hear anywhere else . Rodman
rodman
Regular

Postby sconnors » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 am

Son House
sconnors
Regular

Postby HeavyRockBassist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 am

Here are a few that should be on the list. My appologies if I missed 'em in earlier posts.

Muddy Waters/Real Folk Blues
Willie Dixon/I am the Blues
Collins, Copeland, and Cray/Showdown
Albert Collins/Iceman (or any of his Alligator stuff)
Otis Rush/Right Place, Wrong Time
Otis Rush/Lost in the Blues
Keb Mo's debut album
Muddy and the Wolf

These are all essentials in my collection. hrb
HeavyRockBassist
Regular

Postby muddywolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 am

I download individual songs.

Here are a few I would recommend.

Blind Willie Mctell- Searchin the desert for the Blues, Atlanta Strut, Lord Send me an Angel, Your Southern Can is Mine, Motherless Children, A Married Mans A Fool

Blind Lemon Jefferson- Easy Rider Blues, See That My Grave is Kept Clean, One Dime Blues, Hangmans Blues, Black Snake Moan

Big Bill Broonzy- Long Tall Mama, Hey Hey/Guitar Shuffle, Key to the Highway, Baby Please dont Go, I Cant be Satisfied

Son House- Death Letter Blues, Preachin Blues, John the Revelator, Grinnin in your Face

R.L. Burnside- Poor Black Mattie, Shake'm on Down, Jumper on the LIne, Poor Boy long Way from Home, Staggolee
muddywolf
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues