Blues Chords

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby Bournio » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:32 pm

Cheers! I couldn't remember, and couldn't be arsed figuring it out!
Bournio
Regular

Postby outstretchedarm » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:41 pm

hmmm...let me see if I can wrap my mind around this...

let's say I play in Gb (F#)...and thus the major pentatonic scale is

Gb Ab Bb Db Eb (the black keys)

then I'd go to the V chord, which is Db...whose major pentatonic is

Db Eb F Ab Bb

fair enough.

But what do I do when I want to play the IV chord of Gb, which is B? Would I play

B Db Eb Gb Ab

which is the pentatonic of B?

also...(i'm not at my keyboard right now but) that lloks pretty "happy" and straight forward. How would I add some chromaticism to that?

also when I want to play the II III and VI VII

1) what scales do I play them in?

2) chords do I construct for them?
is it:

iim
iiim
vim
viidim

as it is in the major scale? or something else?

thanks for the info peeps
outstretchedarm
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:17 pm

Dude, you may be playing some cool music, but from the questions you're asking, it's unlikely to be blues.

My suggestion is to do lots of listening to what the "greats" have played. You'll figure it out.
ricochet
Regular

Postby outstretchedarm » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:48 pm

I just personally learn more from understanding the idea behind something. Once I understand the idea, I can freak it because it is mine.
outstretchedarm
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:22 am

I've found over the past few years that touch and timing are as much to do with a bluesy sound as scales. I've got a number I call Georgia Porch, it's open E Major, but it's a soft, melancholy sort of thing, and it's simply down to phrasing rather than an arbitrary set of numbers. That's my opinion of course, more skillful players will have their own views.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Axis29 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:21 pm

With my limited understanding of theory and playing jazz... It seems like you are simply overcomplicating it.

For along time I simply played a pentatonic or Blues scale over the I IV and V chords. I would emphasize certain notes in certain places... sadly, I cannot tell you what those notes were and where because I don't know the theory behind it. I know a few licks, I know how it’s supposed to sound, and I just play by ear...

However, I have also really grown a lot in the last few months in my play by adding more notes to my blues scale. Now I will layer the Major and Minor Pentatonics with a few passing notes in between over those same I, IV and V chords. I don't change the scales when I change chords... at least not that I know of... really I just change the focus of the notes that I am playing... maybe...unless the mood strikes me to stay on those last notes because it sounds right. Of course, now the 'blues scale' I use is made up of like 9 or 10 notes. Is it still a scale at that point? LOL

So basically it's a feel, not a rule. Blues is a 'simple' music which get's really complicated. Unlike Jazz, we break theory rules when we play Blues because the main scales we use do not always make up the chords we are playing over. That dissonance or tension which is created is the blues. The release of that energy is our release and how we get rid of 'my' blues.
Axis29
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues