Favorite blues drummers?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Favorite blues drummers?

Postby bluesrules » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm not a fan of the "best of" polls 'cause there ain't no best imho. So many good players. That said and knowing that this forum is primarily guitarists and bass players I'm curious as to who some of your favorite blues drummers are and why.

Let the fun begin... :D
bluesrules
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Michael Bland! One time drummer for Prince's New Power Generation (1984ff),currently drummin' for Dr.Mambo's Combo in Minneapolis,Mn.,and the new Soul Asylum. He's definitely not strictly a blues drummer,having played with world touring R&B,jazz,rock/fusion (Sting). He's almost always the best musician in any lineup he's with,having started life as a child musical prodigy,playing wind instruments. I'm gonna catch him with Soul Asylum on July 8th,here in Rochester,Minnesota. He's worth the price of admission all by his self. He's a heavily requested call drummer for A-list recording and touring acts.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sennor blues » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:52 pm

I'll put Sam Lay (who worked with Wolf and Butterfield) among the very finest, but one of my favourites is the amazing Ted Harvey (from the Houserockers) not so classy as Lay but the man know to do his job neatly
sennor blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 am

Al Galvin (I kmow his stuff from J B Lenoir tracks). Nothing clever, just the good steady right place, right time stuff, good and regular.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby LoneWolf » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:52 am

I love Sam Lay's recordings with Lightnin' Hopkins!

do you count Washboard Sam and Bull City Red as drummers?
LoneWolf
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:34 am

Sam Lay is back drummin' with Corky Siegal,and Siegal-Schwall blues band. I'll be catchin' both Michael Bland and Sam Lay this summer,outdoors; I'm pumped!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesrules » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:04 pm

All good players. No doubt. And yes, I would say that perciussionists certainly qualify for this discussion.

Just to keep the ball rolling. My personal take on it is that blues drumming is all about the groove. To that end here are a few of my favorite groove players. At least two have worked extensively with Robben Ford. I love that guy! :) In no particular order...

1.) Vinnie Colaiuta (A VERY versatile cat)
2.) Tom Brechtlein
3.) Steve Gadd (LOVE his work with Clapton)

There are many, many more (like Steve Jordon) but it seems you guys for the most part have the same take on it. It's all about the groove and not the chops yes?
bluesrules
Regular

Postby sennor blues » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:12 pm

man, I forgot to mention one of my all time favourites: The Professor, Freddie Below, top blues drummer
sennor blues
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:08 pm

I might get pimp slapped for this because he is not a true blues drummer but my all time fave has to be Charlie Watts.
texas blues
Regular

Postby TC90 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:34 pm

If I had to choose one drummer for forming the utlimate blues band, it would have to be Chris "Whipper" Layton. No fluff, rock solid, and smooth shuffler.

Keep on Bluesin'! 8)
TC90
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue May 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Well bluesrules, I'll agree with Steve Gadd. Right now I am listening to a live Clapton concert, and Steve Gadd is an awesome drummer in this show. I was severely disappointed when I saw EC in Seattle back in March and Steve Gadd wasn't with him.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Favorite blues drummers?

Postby drob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:52 pm

fred below willie smith sam lay charlie watts sp leary mick fleetwood al jackson
drob
Regular

Postby david » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:55 pm

I don't normally notice the blues drummers that much, but Kenny Malone has always drawn my attention in a favorable way. He was Junior Kimbrough's drummer, but I have no idea what he is doing now.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chick french » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm down with the other guys who said Freddie Below. Without a doubt...Below and Elgin Evans wins this contest hands down! If you're talking about blues...no one comes even close in comparison.
chick french
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:06 am

I just caught a lady drummer the other nite backin' up Smokin' Joe Kubek and B'nois King and she blew me away!!! By far the best female drummer I've seen yet. Her name I believe is Carol Dierking from Texas. Awesome!!!
blueswrench
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues