Max England at Harlem Avenue Lounge.

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:41 pm

A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting Max England in person and spending a little time chatting with him and his brother. It was at what was supposed to have been a blues jam at the Harlem Avenue Lounge, which is about 4 miles from my home.
Max was on the jam list, so I got to hear him play guitar some.
Unfortunately, the jam was totally dominated by a full of himself guitar virtuoso who turned the ‘blues’ jam into a Jimi Hendrix tribute, with maybe a little Cream mixed in.
Instead of blues, we got treated to a session of 60’s – 70’s rock music, to which left-handed Max had to try and play rhythm guitar with his slide on an unfamiliar and right-hand guitar, generously lent to him by yet another full of himself rock guitar virtuoso who had hijacked the previous so-called blues jam session.
Max never had a chance to come out his own (blues) bag – and so I never got to hear what Max really sounds like on guitar, but I did hear enough to wish Max had been given free rein. Maybe another time.

Anyway it was well worth patiently enduring the rock guitarist and drummer heroics in order to have met and talked to Max and his brother.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Return to Talking Blues