Rollin' and Tumblin'

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Rollin' and Tumblin'

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:01 am

I know some of The Captain's stuff, but haven't heard that. I'll be on the lookout for it. :)
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:16 am

I just been watching the movie "Crossroads" again, after a long time, and there's a nice instrumental version of R&T in the background of a couple of scenes... I'd forgotten that, as I had the snippet of "Vigilante Man" near the end.

But best of all, I was reminded that the killer solo with which the kid knocks out the devil's representative (S Vai) is, effectively, one of the variations of Rondeau a la Turque, by Mozart!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby mikedev » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:25 am

I love the way the kid throws his pick & slide away at the end, before he goes in to the Mozart bit.
mikedev
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:40 am

That is an incredible scene and a wonderful piece of music. It's just too bad it was Ralph Macchio playing the part. He was typecast once he made the original Karate Kid, and unfortunately didn't have that certain toughness about him I think would have helped the movie. Joe Seneca was a standout in it though and the kid did go on to prove that he could have two masters.

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:19 pm

>Lonnie Pitchford's rendition on
>the 'Deep Blues' video/DVD. Man, the guy was feeling it.
>He was just a young guy but he died just a year or two after
>he was filmed by Robert Palmer. There's a diddley-bow on
>his gravestone. That's saying something.
>
>

Chill,
Another interesting film/video featuring Lonnie Pitchford is Allan Lommax's "The Land Where Blues Began" It shows Lonnie constructing and playing a diddley-bow on a porch post as well as him playing a one string home-made electric guitar. There are other diddley-bow jams as well. One guy really rocks out on a horizontal diddley-bow with an empty beer bottle that adds a cool effect. There's lots more on the video to boot. Lot's of stuff filmed right on the back porch or in little beer joints in the Delta. A great ducumentary put out by Public Television, I think? I borrowed it from my local library.

Enjoy,
Jaybird
jaybird
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:36 pm

I'm at work (he he he) and can't check the album to get all the details, but ONE of my many favorite versions of this jam is from an album called something like "Roots of the Blues," which is a collection of field recordings by Allan Lomax, I believe. (I was given the album because the local public library was discarding it!)

In with the work chants and church recordings is Fred McDowell doing a very slow and mournful version of Roll and Tumble.

In my own twisted sensibilities, I really like putting that version in contrast with Johnny Winter's version, which is just about at the other extreme. That is truly a universal song.

I think it especially lends itself to didley bos.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rollin' and Tumblin'

Postby texxx » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:40 am

Johnny Winter '69 progressive blues experiment track 1
texxx
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I've always liked Rosalie Hill's version (Rolled & Tumbled) off Lomax's Blues Songbook 2CD set.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:56 pm

For me it's too hard to pick just one favorite Rolling and Tumbling version, so forgive me if I cite three of them:

Banty Rooster by Charlie Patton

Rolled and Tumbled by Muddy Waters circa 1949 or so version

Rolled and Tumbled by Scots blues band Papa Mojo

Back to Memphis by Sunnyland Slim (hey SlinSlim, good harp on this one too as you said for Canned Heat)
LesFromChicago
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues