Rollin' and Tumblin'

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Rollin' and Tumblin'

Postby chillywilly » Tue Sep 04, 2001 9:46 pm

Mike,
check Amazon to see if they've got the video versions of these films--- pretty sure they do. I've collecting all the RJ films I can find, and that's my source. Don't have "Can't you hear the wind howl" yet, but based on the recommendations here its probably going to be in my next shipment from Amazon. They must love me there.

As for Blueswriter's question about Dave Stewart hangin' out with R.L. Burnside in "Deep Blues", it looks to me like Stewart must have funded that project. Bit of a strange dude, but I'm glad he did it.

Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Wed Sep 05, 2001 12:21 am

Hey Mike... Both should be easily available as was previously mentioned. "Can't You Hear The Wind Howl?" is from Winstar Home Entertainment. The one John Hammond, Jr. narrated is called "The Search For Robert Johnson" and is from SMV Enterprises. I don't know if that'll help, but it's always good to be armed to the teeth with information. The "Search" video came out in 1992 and has a lot of good moments in it, and features lots of film of Johnny Shines, Honeyboy Edwards, Wink Clark (an old runnin' partner of RJ's), and snippets from Mack McCormick and Gayle Wardlow. The newer one is from 1997 and has a lot of the same guys, but from different interviews. Both are very interesting, but the one with Danny Glover seems to hold more interest and has a bit more going on. Either way, you can't lose, and like I said, it's better than most of what's on the tube. Now, if they'd just release a lot of the old blues footage that circulates around, like Muddy at Woodstock in 1960, Sonny Boy in Europe, and Wolf on Shindig... That'd make for a lot of happy blues folks!

"Can't tell my future, sure can't tell my past, seems like every minute, sure gonna be my last"
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mikedev » Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:48 am

Thanks guys.

I tried Amazon, but Amazon.co.UK doesn't have the titles, that Amazon.com does. The problem is now one of NTSC versus Pal......
mikedev
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue May 28, 2002 3:32 pm

I got tracks of this by:

Hambone Willie,
Al Cook
Muddy Waters
Mississippi Fred McDowell
and one (I don't know who) playing a diddley bow.

Anybody want a mp3, call me and I'll email it.

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 28, 2002 5:32 pm

Scott Ainslie did it on a diddley bow on his "Terraplane" album.
ricochet
Regular

Postby badfinger » Wed May 29, 2002 3:20 am

Don't bother - found him. Good stuff!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby badfinger » Wed May 29, 2002 7:33 am

Maybe it's he (Ainslie, I mean). Never heard this chap - slider?

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:35 pm

Chris Wilson (Melbourne, Australia)does a great verson on his "Spiderman" CD and is even better live! Also does a GREAT version of "She's Tough" on the same CD

"Blues don't know where you're going,
they don't know where you been.
Looks like blues done got me again "
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby laughing boy » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:41 am

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE version of Rollin' & Tumblin' was GARFIELD AKERS 1930 "Dough Roller Blues." It's not even a slide version, it's low-down Miss. Hill Country fawnk. It's got to be the FUNKIEST song I've ever heard. The vocals and guitar are impeccable. The beat just don't stop, keeps the head bopping all the time. LOVE this song. Then there's the Muddy/Babyface Leroy/Walter hotel version. Funky too.

"Make it lonesome now 'cause I'm a hobo myself sometimes"
-Bukka
laughing boy
Regular

Postby badfinger » Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:08 am

Found another version of Rollin' 'n Tumblin' by a guy called Rusty Martin. You can download it free from:

http://www.rustymartin.com/

A bit 'country' to my ears, but good!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby pellepiano » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:49 pm

Im very fond of Elmore Jamesone chord version with a great groove.
pellepiano
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:04 pm

I'm a little late jumpin' on this thread but I have another CD that Has the Baby Face Leroy /Muddy Waters/Little Walter version on it.

"The Blues World of Little Walter" - Delmark DD-648 (1993)

The complete Parkway session is on this disc including the alternate take of Rollin' and Tumblin' with no vocal lyrics (lots of moaning, though.) Little Walter plays guitar on 3 cuts and the liner notes state that it is the first time all 8 cuts from the historic session have been issued together, and first time on CD.

Also on the Parkway Session CD are 3 cuts from J.B.Lenoir and 2 from Sunnyland Slim. Delmark evidently titled this CD to capitalize on Little Walters name.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:48 pm

Well,
I am with Pelle up there , Elmore James' take is so intense it shames the usual suspect's pedestrian"watered"down amble into 2nd place.

Elmore's take is just about the best electric slide lesson I have ever heard, simple riff maximised and fully integrated into the band's groove, superb disregard of a de-tuned guitar,a mastery of distortion and echo and a vastly underated vocal performance.

Elmore' take represents a true transition between this Delta worksong and proto-R+B/R+R , with all bases inbetween covered.

On Poor Bob's take.
What helped me play Poor Bob's version was the inclusion( in G) of the b string , 3rd fret with the g string 3rd fret, to me it makes the g/3rd fret bend(or slide) redundant.

In D , to liven it up I play the riff on the top (1st +2nd) strings whilst alternating the bass to match on the A+D strings (4th +5th)...makes some kind of sense if you think about it....

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:09 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-02 AT 08:20 PM (CDT)]Hey Bosco...

what you referred to as the alternate take of Rollin' and Tumblin' is actually the issued B-side version. Baby Face's 78 on Parkway saw both parts as flip sides of each other. Delmark released the exact same 13 tracks as an LP well before the CD made its way onto the market, but since there's no date on the vinyl version, dating that's kinda hard. The CD came out in 1994, and the label was actually quite slow on the draw when it came to CD conversion. Bob Koester's wishes to stay "old-school" could only last so long!

And while I agree with the sentiments to Elmore's version being incredibly distorted and wild, in my estimation, there's no comparison with Leroy Foster's version. For those uninitiated, this was the synthesis of Delta and Chicago Blues. It's done similar to a field holler, but the reckless abandon and distorted guitar let everyone know where the future was headed!

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:35 am

Time to wake a sleeping thread...

ANyone heard Captain Beefhearts "Sure 'nuff Baby an' Yeah I Do" from his "Safe as Milk" album? It's the Rollin' and Tumblin' theme with Ry Cooder on guitar but with the Captains "unique" brand of lyrics. It's actually become one of my favourite variations on the theme. Imagine if Howlin' Wolf had been friends with Frank Zappa at high school and you'll get some idea of the sound.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues