Best motion picture soundtrack of t

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: Best motion picture soundtrack of t

Postby dcblues » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Crazy Heart has a great soundtrack, and it's not just country. There's some blues on it too. I haven't bought it yet, but I enjoyed the movie and the music in it.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby LakesRider » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:07 am

The Long Riders - Cooder
LakesRider
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:46 am

Oh boy,
I'm always fascinated by the electronic music from “Forbidden Planet”. The whole movie and all it's spin offs too.
from Wikipedia:
“The movie's innovative electronic music score (credited as "electronic tonalities", partly to avoid having to pay movie industry music guild fees) was composed by Louis and Bebe Barron. MGM producer Dore Schary discovered the couple quite by chance at a beatnik nightclub in Greenwich Village while on a family Christmas visit to New York City. Schary hired them on the spot to compose the film music score.” 8)
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I believe much of the "Forbidden Planet" music was played on a Hammond Novachord, a totally unique sounding, fabulous and totally impractical instrument. Probably the first electronic synthesizer. There are a handful of people who pretty much devote their lives to restoring and playing one. It demands it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Rico, where do you get that info?
I can't verify it from any on line listing of movie and TV soundtracks known to utilize the Novachord. Also none of the Forbidden Planet music has recognizable chords such as the Novachord produces.
It's seems to be composed from sound generators, modulators and percussive initiators, with tape echo.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:16 pm

I could well be mistaken about that particular soundtrack. All I can find with a quick Google is stuff about how they were used to make "otherworldly sounds" and were used in lots of sci-fi movie and TV soundtracks. Theramins of course were popular for that sort of thing as well. I've gotten that in my head somewhere, but not sure where. I did a ton of reading about Novachords a few years ago, when I was delusional enough to think I might like to try something like that.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:21 pm

OK, there's a discussion of how the music was made here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet
ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues