Best motion picture soundtrack of t

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Best motion picture soundtrack

Postby houndog » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:10 am

Hello,
I know it ain't films but how about "Sponge Bob Square Pants" ..anyone know the sliders on that toon ?

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:01 pm

Hey, I've wondered about that too, Lovat! Another toon with some killer slide in the background is "CatDog." Probably the same player.
ricochet
Regular

Postby alexjay » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:49 pm

The music on "Spongebob" is credited to The Blue Hawaiians, according to the IMDB.

"CatDog," I just found out the other day, is the brainchild of Steven Banks, who did the hilarious "Steven Banks Show" a few years back playing several different musical instruments--all quite well--as he dreamed himself a rock star.

Maybe it's him playing?
alexjay
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:15 pm

Cool! Thanks!

I heard some great Delta-type slide guitar some months back in the background of some lame ad about being able to choose your power company. Never could find out who it was, and I've forgotten the Web address of the lobbyists' shell organization now. Thought I might be able to track down who their advertising agency was and find out from them, but went on to other things and forgot about it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:40 pm

Junior Brown did a special guest spot on one episode of Spongebob . Don't know for sure if he's part of the Blue Hawiians , but I just watched it this morning and it sounded an awful lot like Juniors playing ?????
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby dcblues » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:23 am

>Junior Brown did a special guest spot on one episode of
>Spongebob .

That one (the one where Sandy decides to move back to Texas) is my favorite SpongeBob episode (so far - I've only seen about ten episodes).

"Who cares about dumb ol' Texas anyway?!" :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:31 pm

My favorite is "Pizza Delivery" where Spongebob actually belts out a bit of a blues tune about Krusty Krab Pizza . It's hilarious....
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby bones » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:07 am

Here's one to look for....

The Thomas Crown Affair. Very Very Very Cool. No blues, but jazzy with some great jams. I had the soundtrack before I had seen the movie, which is a good one by the way. Sinnerman is a great track, almost a gospel jazz is the best way I can describe it(played during the end scene of the flick)as is the entire CD. It never leaves my CD player for long.
Highly recommended!

Peace,
Bones
bones
Regular

Postby sandy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:53 am

One from the Heart - Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle.
I also love those Elmer Bernstein and Lalo Schiffrin big band things from the 60s.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pmc does blues » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:05 pm

If you are going to count movies that use collections of individual recordings like American Graffiti then you have to think about The Big Chill. For a non musical I agree Little Big Man had some great accoustical and slide work that really contributed to the feel of the movie.
pmc does blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:56 pm

I don't recall the music in Little Big Man. I just recall it as the worst damn movie my parents ever dragged me to. I managed to sleep through a good bit of it, fortunately. Mad Magazine updated me on what I missed quite well.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:29 am

Old issues of 'Mad' have done wonders for my film knowledge. God bless you, Mort Drucker!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:15 am

I could be confusing it with "A Man Called Horse." They'd both be neck and neck runners for really bad movies, though nothing will ever undercut "Mission To Mars" as the worst movie of all time.
ricochet
Regular

Postby chillywilly » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:47 am

movie soundtracks.... surprised nobody mentioned Mark Knopfler's work in "Local Hero" and "Cal" He had a hand in couple others too.

Local Hero is easily available. Cal is a movie about the IRA troubles in Northern Ireland. Good movie but harder to find. Killer soundtrack.

cw
chillywilly
Regular

Re: Best motion picture soundtrack of t

Postby bruneau » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 am

the soundtrack from the movie 'Black cat, white cat' by Emir kustarica the music by Goran Bregovic is one of my favourites
Also almost every soundtrack of the movies made by kurosawa; Yoyimbo, The Seven Samourai, High and Low, The Hidden Fortress, The Bad Sleep Well and so on... But I don't know the composers.
Even the soundtrack from 'Barry Lyndon' by Stanley Kubrick, altough most of it classical music, it's one of my favourites too.
Also of interest is the music from the Korean movie ' Old Boy' by Park Chan-Wook.
And so on and on...
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues