Best Electric Slide Player

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Best Electric Slide Player

Postby catscratch » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:51 am

Ouch, Ricochet! Your well aimed semantic jab stung! But maybe my argument is contextural.

My ranking still stands,but for the pedants (not Ricochet of course) I offer this qualification. When Rory Gallagher played the blues (my estimation about 80% of his output - unless you are a Blues Nazi then probably 65% of his output)he was the best blues slide player. Under the Subject "Best Electric Slide Player" he wins hands down. The reason - tone, intonation, attack, speed, accuracy, variety, inventiveness combined with the essence and legacy of the blues. He is also, IMHO, the most "complete" guitar player in the pantheon of guitar gods so I'd rate him as the greatest guitarist ever (can't wait for the response to this one). Maybe because the bedrock of his electric genius was the acoustic guitar skills he had (the sound came from the fingers).

Dave Hole is phenomenal but,in my mind has some limitations and maybe it's his bizarre technique overhand technique. Listening can be tiring as there isn't the light and shade that Gallagher had. (listen to Hole's "Live One" - initially impressive but it tends to wear me out after a while).

Duane Allman is very good but from a technical point of view, at least in some of the live recordings I've heard, his innotation not as accurate as Gallagher's. Allman died very young so who knows what he could have developed into but there seems to be an aura and reputation that has developed around him that I could never fully comprehend. Having said this I rate the Allman Brothers Band highly as an important American Blues band

Kirk Lorange, well, very tasty. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Blues musician (neither would he). Actually at various times in his career Gallagher claimed he did not want to be limited by adherence to strict blues formulas but his last two albums he returned to the church, so to speak. Maybe this is the basis of your point or even better a new thread "What is Blues Music" (if it doesn't already exist).

Anyway, all grist for the mill and hopefully my input might spark up the debate.
catscratch
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:56 pm

Nice review of Rory Gallagher's technique. High praise, indeed.

As for Duane, last week I was listening to the Derek and the Dominos "Layla" and noticed that he sometimes fell flat of the note he was going for, but that's long been one of my favorites and Duane's slide really makes it. I respect people like Eric Clapton and Duane Allman for leaving in the mistakes on their recordings, instead of going back and patching them till they're "perfect." It shows that they're human, too, and that a missed note doesn't ruin a great performance. I wonder how many guitarists have obsessively tabbed out and practiced every one of their mistakes till they can cover them perfectly? Bet none of them have ever successfully captured the feeling of the performance by that note-for-note copying.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby stevie » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:00 am

for me, its gotta be

Johnny Winter, Muddy Waters, Rory Gallagher Duane Allman

Rory is really got it going on, but c'mon, Winter could tear it up with that slide! At least back in the day...

Waters has that dirty raunchy feel that just knocks ya on ur behind...

-stevie
stevie
Regular

Postby moedecker » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:32 pm

I'll have to agree with Stevie : Johnny Winter is #1 !!!!
moedecker
Regular

Postby houndog » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:55 pm

houndog
Regular

Postby stevie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:58 pm

>I'll have to agree with Stevie : Johnny Winter is #1 !!!!

Indeed ;)!

Anyone who jammed with ol' muddy on a regular basis has gotta have some mean slide chops!

-stevie
stevie
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:27 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-05 AT 06:28 AM (EST)]Depends on "best". In one area of electric slide, George Thorogood for the snarling hooligan aspect. As an evangelist to take Blues out into the world & corupt the innocent, Billy Gibbons. Tear your skin off & give it back to you folded neatly - Muddy on She's 19 Years Old. Everybody get up & party - NO ALTERNATIVE - Hounddog Taylor. Virtuoso - Mr Fred McDowell.

And I will fight bareknuckled anyone wants to argue about the last two.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby whiskeyandwomen » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:51 am

duane allman, johnny winter, and muddy waters
whiskeyandwomen
Regular

Postby Blind_Blake » Fri May 19, 2006 6:08 pm

Johnny Winter, Sam Mitchell and the australian slide genius Dave Hole.
Blind_Blake
Regular

Postby guitarboy229 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:48 am

Lil Ed Williams, J.B. Hutto, Hound Dog Taylor, Earl Hooker, Johnny Littlejohn, Eddie King, & Muddy.
Last edited by guitarboy229 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guitarboy229
Regular

Postby JohnnyPistols » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Elmore James, hands down. Nobody could ever match his style of playing.
JohnnyPistols
Regular

You guys have nailed the legends - how bout the current ?

Postby roosterblues » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:33 pm

I for one like Steady Rollin Bob Margolin these days 8) ...So many good ones out there .
roosterblues
Regular

Postby teiscomaniac » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:00 am

How to choose? Elmore James, Hound Dog Taylor, Mississippi Fred McDowell, J. B. Hutto, Lil' Ed Williams, Robert Nighthawk, Hop Wilson (steel, but . . .), John Littlejohn, Muddy Waters . . .

So many great ones--and yet not quite enough of them! What I'd give for another album's worth of Elmore or Hound Dog!
teiscomaniac
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:38 am

I agree with the author, Duane Allman is the best electric SLIDE guitarist, but, I dont think he's better than Hendrix. Every time I really get into a guitarist, And let myslef start to think that maybe this guy might even surpass hendrix, I end up watching one of my tapes of him and, just, DAMN.
it's just, wow. I dont think anyone has or will, at least for a long long time, be able to beat that. But back to topic, I think Duanes the best Slider, pretty amazing.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Re: Best Electric Slide Player

Postby drob » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 pm

44 posts and no Lowell George. tsk tsk.no one played more tasty or in tune. played some mean blues. try to find his radio shows with Bonnie Raitt and John Hammond (actually bonnie's show).
I think lowell is tops.
Dickey Betts is also not mentioned and dickey is bone crushing on electric slide. uneven live shows hell yes but when he is in the mood he is so musical.
I love many many more...happy to see Sol Hoopii mentioned

LOWELL GEORGE
drob
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues