Love in Vain Blues

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Love in Vain Blues

Postby hashtaff » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:07 am

Sometimes we hear a new(ish) version of an old or unfamiliar blues which transcends the origonal. Chris Wilson's version of Poor Bob's (sic Houndog)"Love in Vain Blues" on his Spiderman CD is(for me) such an example. I also personally think that his version of JukeBoy Bonner's "Running Shoes" (on Short Cool Ones) and whoever's "Rolling and Tumbling" (also Spiderman) are by far the best/better versions.

"Blues don't know where you're going,
they don't care where you been.
Looks like blues done got me again "
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Love in Vain Blues

Postby badfinger » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:42 am

Corey Harris does a nice one...

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:00 pm

HashTaff,
who y'calling a"sic Houndog"...y'trench snorkelling rare bit.

Hey if we could have a post here from a Irish person ...well we would be in vaudeville heaven.

"There was a Welshman,an Englishman, and a Scotsman standing in pub waiting for this Irish guy to show up ..."

Boom-ching.

Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:23 pm

"...when the Scotsman noticed that the Englishman kept fiddling with his right ear..."

My mother's maiden name was:

Theresa Catherine Veronica Bernadette Gesintha Marie FitzPatrick.

Will that do?
(Or is it cancelled by the fact that my father's dad was a rabbi?)

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:13 am

since we're completely destroying this thread...

Ever hear about the two gay Irishmen?

Patrick FitzGerald and Gerald FitzPatrick.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:56 pm

And Ben Doone and Phil McCafferty!

they don't care where you been.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:59 am

>"...when the Scotsman noticed that the Englishman kept
>fiddling with his right ear..."

Scotsman."Wot's the matter wi' yer lug (ear ) pal??"

English chappie "I say ..I am a bit perturbed don't you know".
Taffy...Do you know your monkey's pissed in my beer..?"

Welshman "No Dai bach...but if you hum it I'll try and play it on my my new Roadmaster....!

Boom-Ching.

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:12 am

An Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman went for a round of golf and their wives went along as caddies. While walking around the course the English man's wife caught her foot in a rabbit hole, tripped up, and landed in a heap on the ground. Her skirt was over her head revealing that she wasn't wearing any knickers!
The Englishman stormed over and angrily demanded a reason for her state of undress. "Well darling," she explained, "you give me so little allowance that I have to make the odd sacrifice. Usually no one notices."
The Englishman thrusts his hand into his pocket and said, "Here's ten pounds. Go to Mark's and Spencer's and get some knickers."
Two holes further along the Irish man's wife caught her foot on a molehill, tripped up and landed in a heap on the ground. Again her skirt was up over her head revealing that she wasn't wearing any knickers either! The Irish man was livid and he angrily demanded a reason for her lack of undergarments.
"Well darling," she explained, "you give me so little allowance I cannot afford to buy undergarments."
With that the Irish man thrust his hand into his pocket and said, "Here's five pounds. Go to Woolworth's and get some knickers."
Three holes further on, the Scottish man's wife caught her foot on an exposed root, tripped up and landed with her skirt over her head revealing that even she wore no knickers! Her explanation to her irate husband was the same as the others: Simply a lack of allowance. The Scottish man thrust his hand into his pocket and said, "Here's a comb. At least you can tidy yourself up a bit

they don't know where you been.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:45 pm

Ooohh Raaahh...

An elder Scotsman is sitting at the bar in a Tavern when a much younger bloke sits down next to him. A conversation ensues and the youngster inquires about the old man's life, to which he replies;

Aey Lad, ya' see this fine woooden baar here? Built every square inch of it with me own two hands...sanded it, sheelacked it..but doo they call me Muldoon the Woodcraftsman? Naahh!

See yonder stone wall that goes hill and dale as faar as the eye can see? Laaid it all meself, with the sweat off me baack and brow...but doo they call me Muldoon the great Stonemason? Naahh!

See yonder pier in the big lake? Puut in every pylon and plank alone with noo help...sunburned and blistered I waas...but doo they call me Muldoon the great Piermaker? Naahh!

But you f*ck one goat...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:41 pm

A travelling salesman knocks on a door in Michigan .

Salesman "Hello sonny, is your parents at home".

Sonny."Why no Mr.Salesman...Da's in the pub and Ma's in the back yard getting shagged by the goat."

Salesman." Ahhh..sonny...I don't think I heard you quite right...!"

Sonny".Da's in the pub and Ma's in the back yard getting shagged by the goat.Come and see for yourself."

So Sonny and the Salesman go round to the back of the house...and sure enough there is Ma getting shagged by the goat.

Salesman." Oh boy...ah now...ummm...wow...uhmmm...is your mother not afraid of getting pregnant?"

Sonny "N-a-a-a-a-a-a-."

Can I get a Boom-Ching.

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:47 pm

Boom-Ching! LOL... fair is fair; love the Michigan reference! ;-)
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:38 pm

A Welshman walking in the Scottish Highlands sees a
Scotsman shagging a sheep with it's head stuck in a hedge, says,
'Hey Jock bach that's disgusting,what are you doing bach?'

The Scotsman says 'There's nowt wrong with it,the sheep dinnae complain, so why don't you have a go?'

The Welshman says, 'Don't mind if I do Jock bach'.
And pulls his trousers down and..............................

.......sticks his head in the hedge!

Can I get a Boom-Boom-Ching...arf arf.

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby badfinger » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:44 pm

I don't understand, 'dog.. why did he stick his head in the hedge?

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby houndog » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:08 pm

Baddfing,
the joke represents many themes , several which often occur in blues songs.

In this sense there is resonance with some of the main theme of Poor Bob's "Come on in my kitchen" , namely "some joker got lucky and stole her back again".
This phrase represents the loss of a loved one.In the joke above this is represented in a humourous way, which then sets the theme for a comedic paradox based on a misunderstanding about the sexual relationship between the sheep and the two men.

Again this triad of love/lust is a very common theme in the blues, however the twist in the joke is echoed in the blues where we are led by the blues player into a thematic musical passage...only to be presented with a resolution we did not expect.
Again "Come on in my Kitchen " provides us with a parallel as the song is musically never resolved as we would wish it to comfortably be , here the sense Poor Bob being in an uncertain love triangle is echoed by this lack of musical resolution.A truly tense tune.

The theme of sexual dominance is also strongly represented in the joke,hence the 2nd man replacing the role of the sheep.We may easily see in the joke the obvious inference as to the sexual prowess of the 1st man , again this bravado is often represented in the blues (Poor Bob and Blind W.McTell spring to mind).I would argue that the ebb and flow of feminism and it's varied interpretations has led to blues players being castigated and misunderstood.
I have personal experience of a friend who organised the "Zero Tolerance" project in Scotland being "disgusted" at seeing Ry Cooder playing "Speedo + Crazy 'bout a'automobile" .Ry Cooder refers to these snapshots of testosterone as "cartoon characters".

I am very aware of the multi national versions of Legba,Coyote,Loki or in Scotland The Wee Man.
This demi-diety often figures in blues songs and in the above joke in the sense that he represents our best hopes and our ensuing snafu's, which may been seen as mistakes.Or if we agree to Legba etc as a representataion of unpredictability and chaos .....or as another opportunity to develop and grow.Again this unpredictable natural force is represented in both of Poor Bob's recorded takes of "Kitchen".Namely.. winter,wind,mountains,death and drought(or the lack of co-operation by Nature).
This natural chaos is interestingly represented in the joke as the hedge, another name for the Legba pantheon is The Man In The Green.

So finally I would point to the internal drives, wishes and desires of the second man being made public in a humilating way,hence the punchline.Again "Kitchen" points to the safety of the "inside" as compared to the unpredictable "outside".

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:14 pm

Two Welsh farmers were walking home from the pub one moonlit night (moonlicht nicht for 'dawg) when the spied the back-end of a sheep sticking out, it's head caught in a hedge.

" Will you look at that bach", said the first farmer " I wish that was Rachael Welch"
to which the second farmer replied:

" I wiish it was bloody dark!"

Boom chingy thingy
they don't know where you been.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Talking Blues