CD player help

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

CD player help

Postby david » Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:24 am

I traded for a small truck not long ago to supplement my heavy farm truck--I needed something that got better than 10 mpg.

The new little truck has a CD player in it. This is a fairly new thing for me. (This is the first vehicle I ever owned with an air conditioner, much less a CD player.)

I have enjoyed having a CD player. But now the CD player seems to be messing up. It plays fine, but won't give the CD back when I push the "eject" button.

Is this something that can be fixed, or are these gadgets throw aways?

You may not think this question is related to the blues, but without my CD player I have not been listening to as much blues; though it is giving me the blues.
david
Contributor
Contributor

RE: CD player help

Postby ernest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:07 pm

I don't know much about this things but most of the time you can't fix digetal things. If you throw it away don't forget to put the CD out of it.
ernest
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:04 pm

Good chance that can be fixed, but finding someone to fix it in your community may be the problem...
ricochet
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:12 pm

I bought a Ranger a couple of years ago (used) that had an indash cd player . With the money I spend on cd's ther's no way I'm gonna carry 'em in my vehicle . Dump the player and just dub off some tapes . Tweak em with the old eq when you tape them and set the levels just right for all the external noise of the road . It'll sound much better and be less likely to malfunction or get ripped off .
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:29 am

David, As someone who had 40 prime CD's stolen from my vehicle on vacation a couple years ago, I would have to agree with WOOF. (I know, shame on me for having that many with me...it WON'T happen again.)

However, it sounds like you are intent on fixing this, it is a thrill to have your first ever CD player in a vehicle. The ejection problem sounds like a mechanical malfunction and not a digital issue.
A ton of things in this world can be fixed by just a thorough cleaning and lubrication. My bro-in-law is a mechanic and I have seen him repair everything from hair dryers to toasters to weed whackers; stuff most people would just pitch. Often, all that is needed is a little TLC. I fixed an egg timer last year by taking it apart, cleaning out the gunk, oiling it and putting it back together. While I realize a $3.00 dollar egg timer is hardly a $300.00 CD player, give it a try before you give up on it. Take it out of the dash, disconnect the power source, remove the cover and check it out. Clean out any gunk, lightly lubricate any moving mechanical (non-electronic) parts and inspect all springs, wiring connections etc. You never know, might be something simple.

"Fact...is stranger than truth!" Grandpa Jones
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby srvlives » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:53 pm

I
>fixed an egg timer last year by taking it apart, cleaning
>out the gunk, oiling it and putting it back together.

>"Fact...is stranger than truth!" Grandpa Jones

Glad to hear you finally got yourself a metronome.....

:)

'We told him to stop bothering us because he knew that he couldn't play' Son House (re RJ)
srvlives
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:30 am

>I
>>fixed an egg timer last year by taking it apart, cleaning
>>out the gunk, oiling it and putting it back together.
>
>Glad to hear you finally got yourself a metronome.....

SRVL - Yeah, it works great. Only problem is, when the egg is done ya gotta stop playing to eat!

Seems like every poor shmuck that tries to get an honest question answered around here gets his thread turned into dial-a-joke. I sure feel sorry for anyone that hangs around here and doesn't have a sense of humor. :-)
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:33 am

Hey all,
Thanks for the advice. I live in a pretty rural area where theiven isn't that big a problem, yet. I have lived in big cities where I had a tape deck stolen from my locked truck in my driveway. I had come home for about twenty minutes to pick up some things. So I know what you are talking about.

If I decide to get this one fixed, I will start by locating some local hotshot teenager. They seem to know much more about such gadgets than I do.

As for the taking it apart and cleaning it tip: I have a relative that lives a mile down the road from that has been a bulldozer mechanic for at least 50 years. He swears that the first step in fixing anything is to take it apart, clean it and spray it with WD-40 before putting it back together.

Maybe I won't spray WD-40 in my CD player. It would make my truck smell funny.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:41 pm

Ain't farm guys great . I grew up on a small farm in central Illinois and all we carried in our tool box was pliers , 1 screwdriver , a length of stiff wire , a hammer and a roll of ducttape . We only got WD 40 when the crops were good the year before ! If you couldn't fix it with those items , you pitched it . My dad drove a truck for two years which had the cab attached to the frame with nothing more than some heavy wire and a couple of bent nails..............and that was his good truck .
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby david » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:31 pm

Sounds like home to me. I think you have also just described the ultimate blues mobile. In my opinion--which nobody else agrees with--the blues lost its soul when it went to town.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues