Father/Son tag teams.......

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Father/Son tag teams.......

Postby howlnwoof » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:03 pm

...was looking through the old forum for some reason and came across this topic . Might be fun to revive it now that we have more opinions to cultivate :

Who do you pick in a father/son , father/daughter , uncle/nephew ,or brother/brother tag team ? head to head and toe to toe....

Muddy and Big Bill ?
Johnny and Shemika ?
JB and Lil Ed ?
how many can you come up with ?

Let the battle royal begin !!!!

I got a rich mans woman ...livin on a poor mans pay.........
howlnwoof
Regular

RE: Father/Son tag teams.......

Postby blueswriter » Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:20 am

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-02 AT 08:25 PM (CST)[/font][p]I think you'd have to go with those were there when the music was being developed. Folks like Lil' Ed, Shemekia, Big Bill Morganfield, Earl Pryor (Snooky's son) and many others have a lot to offer, but how can ya' possibly top the blues Muddy played, or what J.B. Hutto did? Heck, Muddy pretty much defined the true Chicago sound, and people like J.B. and Snooky were following close behind. There are a good number of candidates for the tag team thread, but Zakiya won't ever match what John Lee did, Lane Wilkins will never have quite the importance Rev. Robert had, and although Lurrie Bell can light it up when he's on his game, ya gotta figure his Dad Carey was hangin' out on Maxwell Street with Robert Nighthawk!
Now if the idea in this tag team is one versus the other by actually wrestling, Shemekia and Zakiya could probably have given Toro Tanaka and Mister Fuji a run for their money, back in the day!

Blueswriter

Walter was at full throttle, blowing the harp with his usual intensity and singing his heart out in the vocal passages. But Leonard stopped everything and came out from the control booth.
"You can't say that," he told Walter. "You can't say my pants are coming down.' "
No, no, Walter told him. "It's 'my pains are coming down.' "
Everyone in the studio-technicians and musicians alike-burst out laughing, including Leonard. "Just a Feeling" was released two months later with "my pains is coming down."
(Nadine Cohodas - from "Spinning Blues Into Gold")
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:10 pm

James and Lucky Peterson could probably hold their own...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:38 pm

Hey Blueswriter , I think ya mighta misunderstood the concept here...I'm not pittin' the sons against the fathers . What I
was getting at was : If you put a father/son tag team up against another , who would rank highest ?
I'm glad somebody mentioned the Petersons . James is a wild man . Got a chance to shoot the bull with him a couple of years ago . He's a riot and a heck of a nice guy . I was standin' next to his merchandise table tryin' to convince everybody that they needed to buy all his cd's . It would be too hard to recommend just one . And Lucky , though a bit schizoprenic at times on record , blows a lot of more respected acts away live !!

I would like to nominate Jimmy Rogers and Jimmy D. Lane...
Jimmy of course was a building block of the electric Chicago sound and Jimmy D. could play just about anyone off the stage .
Should hear him do "Hear My Train A Comin"!!!!!!

I got a rich mans woman ...livin on a poor mans pay.........
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:23 pm

There's Raful and Kenny Neal (and all of Kenny's brothers). They could start more than a team, they could form a blues army! :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:30 am

Lonnie Brooks and his sons, Ronnie and Wayne are also a delight to watch, especially when all three play the same guitar simultaneously! It's a real show stopper if you've never seen it.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tele_caster _ » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:31 pm

>Lonnie Brooks and his sons, Ronnie and Wayne are also a
>delight to watch, especially when all three play the same
>guitar simultaneously! It's a real show stopper if you've
>never seen it.
I just saw Lonnie & Wayne at Buddy Guy's a few weeks ago ..WHAT A SHOW !!!!!!!!!! Also very good ppl .sat and talked with Lonnie for a half hour between sets just to pick his brain.
tele_caster _
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-02 AT 11:41 AM (CDT)]
> I just saw Lonnie & Wayne at Buddy Guy's a few weeks ago
>..WHAT A SHOW !!!!!!!!!! Also very good ppl .sat and talked
>with Lonnie for a half hour between sets just to pick his
>brain.

Tele-

Yeah, Lonnie is a great guy. He traveled so much when he was younger that he mostly plays the midwest now, I have seen him 4 times. In 1998, in Ft.Wayne IN, I sat and drank with him for an hour AFTER the show, he loves to hang with the fans. He drank Couviessier(sp?)cognac straight and chased it with swallows from a can of coke. I asked him if he had to leave and he said, "They're all out there waitin' for me on the bus right now, and they'll be pissed, but I don't care...this is what the blues is all about!"

Bosco

Almost forgot- Lester "Big Daddy" Kinsey and his sons, Donald, Kenny and Ralph. BD is gone now, but they used to put on a great show in the old "Blues Review" style with the kids and band warming up the crowd before the star came out.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:52 am

How about Father/'Adopted Son'/Grandson teams? I'm talking of R.L., guitarist Kenny Brown and drummer Cedric Burnside. If they're eligable, they have the power and the band telepathy to rank with the best.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alexjay » Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:44 am

Damn. You guys already named almost all the ones which shot into MY mind. How about the Bramhalls--Doyle and Doyle II? Clifton and C.J. Chenier?
alexjay
Regular

Return to Talking Blues