Little Wing

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Little Wing

Postby tele_caster _ » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:46 pm

Listen to these 3 versons
1. Hendrix (of corse)
2. SRV
3. Sonny Landreth & Monte Montgomery
Then tell me ????
my fav is the 3rd one
tele_caster _
Regular

RE: Little Wing

Postby sandy » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:36 pm

For completely different takes on the tune, try Aynsley Lister (on the Blue Haze CD of tributes to Jimi) or the Gil Evans Orchestra. Is it the sign of a great tune when it can be interpreted and reinterpreted in so many different, valid and great ways?
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chillywilly » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:55 am

Little Wing could be one of the finest tunes ever known to man. Also with the above mentions, check out Sting's version with Branford Marsalis's (soprano or tenor?) sax solo blending in perfectly with Hiram Bullock's guitar lead.

There's so many ways to interpret Little Wing. All of them are great, just because the song itself is so pure. Jimi had a few of those.

This is a great topic, hope some more of you chime in.

...Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:21 pm

I'll chime in...my favorite version is the one I get to hear live. Our lead guitar player is big on instrumentals and Little Wing is one of his favs. I'm a lucky sod because I get to hear him play his flawless rendition 8-10 times a month depending on the number of gigs in addition to practices. (on a strat and vintage Fender Twin tube amp to boot!) As the harp player, I can jump off stage on LW and get out front to listen. It is truly mesmerizing and very easy to close your eyes and hear Hendrix or SRV. Lenny is another of his favorites in the same vein; just beautiful.

that's the view from here...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues