Barbeque Bob

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Barbeque Bob

Postby david » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:58 am

I had to make a run to town yesterday for parts and the used CD shop is on the way to Tractor Supply, so...

I picked up a Barbeque Bob and the Spareribs CD for three bucks. It was the first time I have heard them. Good stuff.

I recognized the familiar name and thought it would be in bad form to not pick it up. Glad I did.

;
;
;
david
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Barbeque Bob

Postby barbequebob » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:23 pm

This is a different guy from the NY/NJ area Robert Pomeroy. I first heard a bit about him in 1980, when I did a gig with the late, great Jimmy Rogers at Tramps, in NYC. There's also a guitarist in the Denver, CO area using this name also (BTW, his real name ain't Bob), and then there's the original Barbeque Bob Hicks, a slide guitarist and 12 sreing player from Atlanta, GA in the 30's.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:00 am

Thanks for clearing that up. I had encountered some other references to "Barbeque Bob" since I posted that and figured they couldn't all be the same guy.

Guess its kind of like "Sonny Boy."

By the way--actually, a far distance off the way--when I was a kid still living Between the Rivers (now Land Between the Lakes since the government stole it) I knew an old guy that would go out with a dog and a gun and live in the woods for weeks at a time. He pretty much lived on wild meat, what plants he could gather, and what moonshine he could make.

I have his Barbeque sauce recipe that he claimed was only good for wild meat. It is spicey, kind of like he was. I can tell you it is also good on barbequed eggplant.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:59 am

Hey, you can't leave us up in the air like that, you gonna share that recipe or not?

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:57 am

"Hey, you can't leave us up in the air like that, you gonna share that recipe or not?"

Yeah, come on David.
It's your civic duty in fact.
:)
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:55 pm

How's it on fat possum?
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:15 am

I imagine ol' Gippo Woodruff ate it on fat possums, skinny possums or any thing else he could catch.

I could tell you Gippo stories all night long, but you wouldn't believe them. Most of them can't be told in polite company.

I am just passing through the house between checks on mares, but I will look up the recipe and get it posted. I can tell you most normal people cut the pepper content by about 3/4, and his recipe makes large quantities.

I still see Gippo's son around. He is very mellow compared to his father, but Gippo left lots of room. Gippo evidently wasn't around his wife and kids very much, and in his case most folks thought that was a good thing.

I really will get the recipe posted. Barbeque in western Kentucky is like hockey in Canada, or cricket in England.

;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:59 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-03 AT 00:00 AM (EST)]Gippo Woodruff's Barbeque Sauce
(All I ask is that when you use this recipe you credit Gippo and say he was from Between the Rivers and got run off by the government, along with all the rest of us.)

2 quarts vinegar
1 large or 2 medium bottles tomato ketchup
2 cans tomato puree (homegrown, of course)
1 pint mustard
1 cup sugar
4 tablespons black pepper
4 tablespoons red pepper
1 1/2 sticks butter

Heat vinegar real hot. Mix incredients a little at a time. Do not let the mixture get hot enough to simmer. (You have to stir it for quite awhile to get all the flavors mixed in and the sauce to the right thickness.)

The original recipe made two gallons, but this is a reduced version. Gippo also would throw in various hot peppers from the garden if they were available.

Enjoy.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:03 am

> Barbeque in western Kentucky is like cricket in England.
>
Do you mean that it is often cancelled because of the rain, causes great distress when it goes wrong and is talked about on the radio for eight hours at a time?
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:48 pm

Its a lot like that, except I have seen barbeques go on despite the rain. I went to one not long ago for folks from Between the Rivers, as one of our many reunion/strategy meetings.

It was a steady drizzle when I pulled up and there were people sitting around talking and using garbage bags for rain coats. There was even a livily game of washers going on, including a group of spectators.

The guys at the pit were cooking away like it was liquid sunshine coming down on them.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:18 pm

That recipe sounds like great stuff! I may cut down the quantities again and try making some. Don't have much opportunity to use the stuff these days!
ricochet
Regular

Return to Talking Blues