Band Endurance: Blues vs Rock

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Band Endurance: Blues vs Rock

Postby bosco » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:52 pm

>Some bands outlive their moment, but I think that the Stones have a lot of good music left in them. Which has always been the difference between a blues band and a rock band. Talented blues bands get better with age, rock bands come and go.<

That has to be one of the more insightful statements I have read lately. It comes from Al Handa's Radio Log on the Delta Snake website. To read the full article on the Stones current tour;

http://radio.weblogs.com/0118057/

Bosco

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it."
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Band Endurance: Blues vs Rock

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:07 am

I had a discussion once about how some people are cool for a short time than fade away. Fonzie was cool, but he dated quickly. Ditto Paul McCartney, Mr T, even Keith Richards. The only person who ever remained completely cool until the day he died was the Boogie Man himself, John Lee Hooker.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:25 pm

Hey, whaddaya know...somebody answered my post a cool month later.

JRB- Although relating to American Television instead of music, this website is intriguing;

http://www.jumptheshark.com/

Since you mentioned the Fonz, it was ascertained by "Happy Days" aficiondos that the show headed in the wrong direction when Fonzie jumped over a shark on water skis. This phenomenon became so popular among TV show followers that a whole website was created for listing when various shows headed south or "jumped the shark." The catchphrase has become popular for American radio personalities and entertainment broadcasters wishing to indicate that someone's career is in decline.

It stands to reason that that the concept can be applied to music...
When did your favorite artist "jump the shark?" With that lame, crappy commercial crossover hit? Did they get in sucked by and dabble in disco? Take on a new band member who changed the direction of the entire project? Add some horns or strings...shudder...?

Who's got a favorite shark story?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby seanmack » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:15 pm

In terms of jumping the shark? seeing as they were mentioned earlier, the stones all most jumped the shark, back in the mid 70's, when richards was too ensnared in drugs to nullify jagger's worrying pechant for disco music at the time, which resulted in some undecidedly dodgy albums no? And you could say theyve never reached the likes of let it bleed, exile on main street,sticky fingers etc again.

IN endurance, obviously gonna be blues isn't it? Blues men keep going well into their old age, and sometimes till they die (jlh, bb king, and the likes of taj mahal aren't getting any younger) becuase they dont need bands, as freddie king says all a blues man needs is "me and my guitar" and the odd session bassist/drummer here and there. Rock needs groups, which leads to arguements and breakups.Trying not to ramble on here, but thats probabaly because of the beautiful simplicity of the blues- in rock bans you get all these so called 'creative differences' because too much is trying to be done. Scuse the rant folks.
seanmack
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:57 pm

JLH is already dead, as a matter of fact.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:15 pm

>JLH is already dead, as a matter of fact.
well, he only said he wasn't getting any younger...

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:05 pm

Did I just hear "Crawlin' Kingsnake" backwards? Must be JLH decomposing.
ricochet
Regular

Postby seanmack » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:25 am

I said the likes of taj mahal aren't getting any younger! JLH passed on almost two years ago...give me some credit folks.
seanmack
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:29 am

Just to be a pedant, you did say BBKing, JLH and the likes of Taj Mahal weren't getting any younger: "(jlh, bb king, and the likes of taj mahal aren't getting any younger)"

:+

ramble ramble ramble

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby doc williamson » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:53 am

Very interesting topic. I have long had the opinion real bluesmen actually gain more credibility and often popularity as they age. The ones that come to mind that have passed are; JL Hooker, Muddy and Wolf. The present ones would be Taj, Buddy Guy, Pinetop Perkins and BB King. There are others in both categories but those are the ones off the top of my head. I think the main reason for this is the bluesmen continue to record new and vital music. The pop/bubble gum/rock groups perform their hits from 20 - 40 or more years ago and play the "nostalgia circuit." Their day in the sun has passed and so has their music. The blues live forever.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:45 pm

> The pop/bubble
>gum/rock groups perform their hits from 20 - 40 or more
>years ago and play the "nostalgia circuit." Their day in the
>sun has passed and so has their music.

One night only! The 1910 Fruitgum Company! Performing their greatest hit! Don't miss it!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby seanmack » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:34 pm

Read the preceeding sentence rustyslide.
seanmack
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:09 pm

>Did I just hear "Crawlin' Kingsnake" backwards? Must be JLH
>decomposing.

[em]groan[/em] had another blonde moment when I first read that and didn't get it. d'oh...

>Read the preceeding sentence rustyslide.
"Don't miss it!" Yup, I wouldn't miss it for the world!

ramble ramble ramble

rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby david » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:38 pm

Hey, I've got a 45 of "Indian Giver" around here somewhere. The flip side was a song about Howdy Doody which you had to play backwards to hear due to the profanity in the line about "that little rubber duck, I bet she's really fun to ****."

I don't know why I bought the record since I didn't like the 1910 Fruitgum Company even then; probably all my 13 year old friends were buying it so I did too.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:25 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-04 AT 03:25 PM (EST)]Maybe part of the endurance thing is the relationship of sexuality to the music. Aging rockers often look like boys with wrinkles, while the blues guys are saying, "I am a MAN". Compare the sexuality of Howlin' Wolf, or Muddy Waters, at their later ages, to that of Jagger, R. Daltrey, or the Zep heroes. I think it's man vs. boy. Blues guys can be big,fat, and slow; Rock guys gotta look good imitating boys.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Talking Blues