Blues | Rock - Where's the line?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby Bournio » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:05 am

Great! Cheers! London hmmm... It'd be nice if he graced the Guild Hall like Lake did, ah well, I guess waiting a while is in order!

Ian
Bournio
Regular

Postby MoonShine » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:35 am

Hi, first post so please be gentle.

The way I figure it, Blues is the foundation for many genres of Rock, which catered for several generations who embraced the style as if it was there own.
Back in the 60's I rocked to many an Australian, UK and US bands or soloists who fired up Blues with ballsy, gutsy powerful energy.
Locals such as Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs and Matt Taylor - Chain spring to mind. Eric Burdon & the Animals, Troggs, Yardbirds, Stones, Zepps, just some examples of a huge list of great talent who have all said they owe it all to the Blues, it inspired them.

Also loved George Thorogoods and ZZ Tops energy, a refreshing alternative to the plastic, no brainer, no talent, Disco scene which contaminated the music scene since the 70's. Just so many variations.

I'm the same, what line?....and believe its a fantastic tribute to the old original Blues artists that later groups/entertainers kept the train a rollin'.
MoonShine
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 am

thinking about this, I think everyone is being too fussy, does it matter where you think blues ends and rock begins?

What about Folk? When does Folk become country or Blues? Blues was people's music, so is folk... So how come we've not had that discussion?

When I'm dancing do I care whether it's trance or Electronica?(It's the only time I can tolerate dance music! It also has a brilliant effect of making me hyper-Hawkwind and JLH do it too...)
Bournio
Regular

Postby cas » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 pm

No lines, lines are for wimps.

Carol
cas

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:37 pm

There may not be a line to some of us,but there are lines to blues fans in blues clubs,and rock fans in rock clubs. The line is when you lose the crowd during a band break. Some rock fans will listen to modern country,but they won't listen to blues. Some blues fans will listen to rock,but they won't listen to country. Blues and rock 'n' roll are very close cousins,but rock 'n' roll is a subset of blues,while blues is not a subset of rock 'n' roll----dig?(Think Chuck Berry,or Little Richard, or even Little Walter's rock 'n' roll tunes)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Talking Blues