Is There A Drummer In The House

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Is There A Drummer In The House

Postby chick french » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:09 pm

Funny thing with drummers is their un-versatility. But then that's a whole different discussion.

I bought my son a set of drums last christmas. He's been practicing quite hard and takes advice really well. I have about 12000 songs that he has access to and is constantly making CD's. Now I have varied taste in music and he is really picking up on music that 99% of kids his age have or never will hear. Currently he's big into Levon Helm and Ray Charles. When he makes CD's he goes from one extreme to the other. Howlin Wolf, Merle Haggard, James Brown, Little Richard, The Band, Buck Owens, ZZ Topp, etc etc. This is really paying off and is showing in his playing. Since my set list vary as much as his CD creations, I"ve always had a hard time finding drummers that could play varied genre's of music.

Okey, on to the point of this thread. My son is 10 years old, had his drums for a year. Some friends of mine called me up and invited me to come over and jam around some yesterday. They asked if I knew a drummer that would like to come over? Funny you should ask I thought! I told them "I know a kid I can get to come". I'm sure they were thinking someone young, as in their 20's, so you can imagine what they were thinking when I show up with a 10 year old and a trap set. Since he's only set in with me once 5 or 6 months ago, I was slightly apprenhensive with him playing with a full band, it's mostly just him and me practicing. Anyway we set up, jaw around a while and I kick him off on the old Jimmy Rodger's tune "Your Turn To Cry" off the "Chicago Bound" album. Immediatly jaws drop and everyone's smiling, man he nailed it like sitting in a rockin chair. After going through various blues, country and R&B tunes these guys were ready to paint a mustashe on him and hire him on the spot. They seriously were saying that he was better than the last two drummers they fired. I am very proud of this little fellow. I've always told him "Less is more" so he knows to keep it in the hole and steady and he did on every song. We played 5 hours and I got it on my video camera, Yea! So I guess my suggestion's sunk in--I've always told him playing was like building a house, you have to have a foundation and lay something down you can stand on. And By-Golly he did just that.

I didn't mean to brag on him (well yea I did) but I just had to tell someone!
chick french
Regular

RE: Is There A Drummer In The House

Postby barbequebob » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:49 pm

Good job, man!!! Drummers that are versatile and understand groove, what to play as well as what NOT to play as it calls for in each genre are usually going to be in such high demand that they don't even have to be committed to any single band and keep their gig calendars full, and drummers who don't learn that usually are fired as quickly as they're hired and they're always the first to whine.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:59 pm

Man, that's too cool Chick!

I've always thought that the best prodigys were the ones that started so young that they played with and for other folks before they were old enough to even understand what stagefright is. Kids are like that, they'll just do stuff without taking the consequences into account... and when they get adult approval, well, they're hooked.

I just gave my 9 year old grandson a used Les Paul copy and a Dean Markley practice amp for Christmas. Got him a case, stand, strap and tuner as well. He's been noodling on an acoustic for a while now and his father is an experienced drummer. The kid is very inquisitive and can carry a tune (hes constantly singing), so I have high hopes for him.

You must be very proud...do keep us informed of his progress.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:58 pm

Great stuff.

Starting out young with the Drums will also give him a better foundation for anything musical he wants to do later than anything else I can think of.

(This from a guy who started with Guitar - at 18 - and stayed there)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:23 pm

Great job, Chick! You guys are to be commended, and I bet his confidence got a huge boost from that experience. Way to go.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:14 pm

Yeah, that's terrific, Chick! :7
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:30 pm

Hey Chick!

That's great stuff, man!

My son plays bass and he constantly amazes me with his playing too.

I'll tell you, it's great to share something as meaningful as music with them. That's an added bond that only you two will have.

Nice going!
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:58 pm

Awesome! :)
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djflash » Fri May 20, 2005 12:56 am

I was tought to play drums at the age of 10 as well, my cousin had a set and played with his family band everytime I would go over he would teach me a little. Before I knew it I was playing with no probs, except the fact that the kick drum pedal was what felt like a mile away from me and it was hard to press as I can remember being that young. I didnt get a set my whole childhood because my mom couldnt afford it, but I did play evertime I went to my cousins house which was almost every weekend. This was my 1st introduction to music and being the drums that have such a backbone in music it did lay a foundation for me to build on it gave me great timing with other things I play as well, dont wanna bore too much but in a nut shell I know play trumpet in my church band, I am the church drummer fillin, and I play the hand drums conga & djembe, also play blues harp.

I said all that to say keep pushing your son he's on a good trail and that will give him something he can add to and when he does he will be good at the others all the more. Being 1st taught drumming made me better at the rest of the instruments I play.
djflash
Regular

Return to Talking Blues