Robert or Robert Jr.

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Robert or Robert Jr.

Postby dave mac » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:41 pm

I read a recent article that quoted Robert Lockwood Jr. as saying that Robert Johnson was intimidated by his ability to quickly learn guitar figures. I know I am in sanctified territory when I am talking about Robert Johnson, but I wonder which guitarist would be more respected if Robert Johnson had lived a long life. Could you enlighten me?
dave mac
Regular

RE: Robert or Robert Jr.

Postby david » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:18 pm

I have even seen interviews where Robert Jr. takes credit for having made Robert Johnson famous, by continuing to play and promote his songs during the time when blues was drying up and nobody seemed to know who Robert Johnson was.

There may be something to that, but Robert Johnson's songs seem awfully fresh today. I'm not sure Robert Jr. has the same sparkle.

I always wondered what Jimi Hendrix would have done if he had lived longer. I know he was supposed to be looking for a different sound. I also know I may be the only person on planet that likes the "Nine to the Universe" CD. I like to think that was the direction he was heading in. Of course, this means he may have faded out and be touring the Red Carpet Inns, like Steppen Wolf.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dave mac » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:44 pm

>
>I always wondered what Jimi Hendrix would have done if he
>had lived longer.
Of course,
>this means he may have faded out and be touring the Red
>Carpet Inns, like Steppen Wolf.

TODAY'S SPECIAL
ALL YOU CAN EAT CHICKEN WINGS AND MR. JIMI HENDRIX PERFORMING IN THE REDWOOD ROOM.

Please say it wouldn't be so!
dave mac
Regular

Postby david » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:41 pm

Barbeque sauce on the strings from picking with his teeth...
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:07 pm

As much as I respect Robert Jr. Lockwood, he has managed to take credit for an awful lot. He claims to have been the first blues guitarist to play amplified although he's off by a fair margin historically speaking, he's downplayed the talents of many legends (including Muddy, Wolf, Elmore, and others), and has often said he is personally responsible for Robert Johnson's reputation being as large as it is today. However, ask him a question about Robert Johnson and see where the conversation goes... just make sure no small children are present.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:44 pm

>>
>>I always wondered what Jimi Hendrix would have done if he
>>had lived longer.
>Of course,
>>this means he may have faded out and be touring the Red
>>Carpet Inns, like Steppen Wolf.
>
> TODAY'S SPECIAL
>ALL YOU CAN EAT CHICKEN WINGS AND MR. JIMI HENDRIX
>PERFORMING IN THE REDWOOD ROOM.

Hey....several years ago FOGHAT played in some small dive of a bar around here....that's really sad.....and I think Molly Hatchet did a strip club beer garden...........a long ways from the arenas of the 70s...
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:32 am

"a strip club beer garden...........a long ways from the arenas of the 70s..."

But so much more intimate, don't you think?
stumblin
Regular

Postby dfduck » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:29 am

Every time I see Robert Jr. Lockwood he sure seems awfully full of himself. Acts like he's better than everyone else. He can play the notes and sing the words, but there doesn't seem to be any fire. I was recently watching the Hellhounds On My Trail dvd where Lockwood tells about Bob Dylan asking if he would show him some guitar licks. When Dylan couldn't play it he asked if Lockwood would show his guitar player. Lockwood replied with "you've got a lot of damned nerve." Then said he showed his guitar player, because he knew he couldn't play it.
And later in the video Lockwood and Honeyboy Edwards were on stage together. Honeyboy sitting in a chair, Robert Jr. on a stool several feet higher. He played as though Honeyboy wasn't even there, never once looked in his direction.
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:04 am

But why is it sad?

They're working.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lightninboy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:52 pm

I seen Robert Jr playing at a bar once, with a bass player and a drummer. He was so old, he fell asleep in between songs, and pulled out a hankerchief the size of a small bed sheet to mop his forehead, and every time he did this, it took him a coupla' minutes to fold it and put it back in his pocket.
Half the audience went to sleep as well.
The guys I was with were all guiter players, and they abused me for taking them to see such a dud who could hardly play.
I seen it a little different, and took his age into the equation, and the fact that some guys (the ones I was with) just don't understand the subtleties of the blues.
BUT, IMO, Robert Jr Lockwood is not the makings of a pimple on Robert Johnson's bum.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:38 am

I don't know how ANY of the long past blues musicians would have acted or played when they were in their 80's, I just know it was an honor to meet and talk to Mr. Lockwood. He was a perfect gentleman and didn't make me feel lika a dumbass white kid for ask'n for his autograph. He played a bomber Gibson electric 12 string (model unknown) and wowed everyone.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 am

I have stated my extreme dis-like for Robert Lockwood Jr. many times
and recently got involved in a huge debate concerning RJ vs. RL

I don't care for Lockwood,,,his Music or anything about him.

and as far as Dylan's guitar player not being able to play Robert's licks,,,,well, that may be true.
But,,I guarantee you Lockwood has never played a lick that I couldn't learn in a couple minutes.

I think Lockwood tends to believe that he is more of a "Legend" than he really is.

and,,,,,,I still stand behind the statement that if he didn't play the fact that RJ was his Step-Father up so much from the very beginning that he wouldn't be as "famous" as he is today.

He's made quite a career for himself based on the fact that he is RJ's Step-son.

This is not to say that Lockwood isn't talented.
He was very talented once upon a time.

It just really burns me that he used RJ's name to get where he is today but,,,he doesn't want to talk about RJ anymore,,,he wants ALL the attention to be on him.

The fact that RJ is his Step-Father is why everyone is so willing to Kiss his ass.
grady
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:37 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-05 AT 00:38 AM (EST)]"This is not to say that Lockwood isn't talented. He was very talented once upon a time. It just really burns me that he used RJ's name to get where he is today..."

I think Lockwood managed to get where he is today by playing some of the most impressive blues guitar ever heard in Chicago behind Little Walter, Sonny Boy, and a great many others. Sure, he's taken credit for things he shouldn't, and he can be as cantankerous as an unfed hog, but his abilities as a guitarist speak volumes. It's also important to realize that just as much as the media has played up Robert Johnson for decades, they have done the same for as many years where it concerns RJ and Robert Lockwood - the press have continually beaten that horse long beyond its life expectency - and far more than Lockwood himself.

I'm just not a fan of his when it comes to him putting down people like Muddy Waters ("he couldn't play sh*t"), Otis Spann ("he played too many notes"), or Howlin' Wolf ("he was just plain country dumb"), among others. His attitude toward his peers is much like that of Gatemouth Brown.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:03 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-05 AT 11:46 AM (EST)]>He can play the notes and sing the words, but there doesn't
>seem to be any fire.

Let's see how much fire you have when you're over 80!

I first saw Lockwood in the 80's. Trust me, he had fire, just a slow burning blue flame of a fire, not the kind of gut-wrenching intensity you'd expect from Otis Rush or something. Sure, he's a bitter old curmudgeon who likes to inflate his self-importance but as far as I'm concerned he's earned the right.
Yes, all the recent shows of his that I've seen were pretty dull and he seems way too tired. He lets his band do the work.

You know what? That's going to be your fate too if you're relying on music as your main source of income - you're gonna have to gig til you die because unless you're BB King or Buddy Guy, blues ain't much to retire on.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby boz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:37 pm

10/4 Zak !!
I got a chance to meet Mr. Lockwood before a show and he was a perfect gentleman. He even kidd'd me about wanting to grow a mustache like mine. He went as far as autograph'n a Robert Johnson song book I brought with me. He played a Gibson 12 string electric that night and was AWESOME !!
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Talking Blues