Albert king VS. B.B. King?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: Albert king VS. B.B. King?

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:10 am

No, a royal flush was heard, then he was gone.
ricochet
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:14 pm

I voted for B B because regardless who does what with a guitar, BB King has been one of the world's best blues vocalists.

In fact 2 of my very favorite BB records did not even feature much guitar if any, "Catfish" and "Rock Me, Baby".
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Tough call. BB is an icon, we just saw him last year at a beautifully remodeled theater with some front row center tickets. An entire night sitting at the feet of greatness is pretty awe-inspiring.

But I have to give the nod to Albert, based on listening time. Not only is Albert a better guitarist, something I doubt BB would argue, but Albert's voice can get so sweet on something like As The Years Go Passing By.

Freddie, heh. The forgotten king :( I got talking to my mailman (who plays bass) because he heard me playing Hideaway one day. The Allmans are playing Woman Across the River regularly in their shows the last few years.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby crblues88 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:14 am

i put my money on the line for albert
what an amazing blues man
inspiration for millions of guitar players
crblues88
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:03 am

Don't forget Martin Luther King--its his birthday.. You got Chun King for that oriental style

and then there is King Kong he's big in New York, I hear. :roll:
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Direwolf59 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:23 am

goldbrick wrote:Don't forget Martin Luther King--its his birthday.. You got Chun King for that oriental style

and then there is King Kong he's big in New York, I hear. :roll:

What about Nosmo King?
Direwolf59
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Well you got that girl Kaki King and that Asian bluesman Fu King Ah Soul
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Gtrist » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 am

Both!

But here's the main thing for me, when it comes to Albert King--when he plays a solo it commands my attention.
I remember one evening sitting down to eat my supper and read a book. I turned on the TV for background noise--which I rarely do. I flipped through a few channels--and there was this white guy I didn't recognize soloing with a blues band--it wasn't too bad. So I left it on that channel and started reading my book. He wrapped up his solo and it was somebody else's turn--I heard one note and knew it was Albert King. I stopped reading and stopped eating and my eyes & ears were glued to the TV during that solo--unfortunately that was the last song, as the credits started to roll. But when I hear Albert King soloing somewhere--I stop what I'm doing and key in on it. I recognize BB within a note or two as well--but it's not quite the same---but far be it for me to sound like I'm putting BB down--I'm not.

My opinion of either is not based on my opinion of the other.
I've picked up stuff from both--although Albert has had a bigger effect on my playing than BB.

They're both fantastic guitarists.
Gtrist
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Albert is responsible for almost every broken string I have, because they almost always come from 2+ step bends :mrgreen:
CashWiley
Regular

Postby Raggedyman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 am

Albert King for me.I have some old scratchie compilation blues tapes (4 in the series) with a coupla' AK tracks on them,and thought his playing was pretty good.Then I saw a DVD of SRV and AK titled "In Session",that sealed it for me.AK's approach to playing blues is more down and dirty than BB's whose style I can quickly tire of,BB's playing to me is too nice,too contrived.
AK was playing an old brown flying V,and doing a sweet-hot job of jamming with SRV on anything that Stevie threw at him,but the style of AK's playing was what got me.I don't want to hear blues played all nice. :twisted:
Raggedyman
Regular

Postby hooverhasit » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 am

no albert or bb for me. my favorite "king" is the late great dallas artist freddie king. unbelievably creative artist. his hideaway is a classic. as for albert vs. bb....i would say albert. b.b. seems to have only one sound as far as his guitar playing is concerned. like him as a singer but feel albert could play anything and sound any way he wanted to. still and all i put freddie above them.
hooverhasit
Regular

Postby stewball » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Albert was probably the better drummer of the two.
stewball
Regular

Postby Les Forgue » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Albert might be a more skillful guitarist, but IMO BB is a far better blues SINGERS than any other King.
Les Forgue
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:02 pm

I NEVER heard BB King pick anything that impressed me. Yet on some guitar player magazines BB King was always in the top five. And the top ten as a whole weren't that great many times. Yet Andre Segovia, indisputably one of the finest guitar players that ever lived, (IMNSHO) was often rated in the low sixty's. So much for opinions and polls and who's better posts. ( Please do not take offense at that last statement}
I guess polls, opinion or otherwise, should be taken in group peers, beginner to expert. Each peer group will have a different best guitar player.

Go figure. :wha:
Slacker G
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Both are amazing, emotive and expresssive yet, they get there with different chops, bends, chord fragments, note slurs and vocal styles.

Having to choose between the two would be like having to choose between memphis bbq and texas bbq. Both are good and different.

Frankly, I couldn't live without either...!!
wanderingyankee
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues