Flatpick Vs Bare Fingerpicking

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby Bournio » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:15 am

I use a pick on my electric, fingerstyle on my acoustic, whihc developed because I couldn't be bothered having a pick with me when I took my acoustic with me, I also hated the sound of a pick on a nylon strung guitar, it sounds really bad to me, so I learnt fingerpicking on that, and it's bassically continues on all but my electric.
Bournio
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:57 pm

I have said this elsewhere. Fingers only for me, you never have to wonder where you left a pick then. And I really don't want anything between me and the music.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Goin' commando, Maxx? :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:59 pm

Hmmm ringings of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers!

Ian
Bournio
Regular

Postby Elecktrablue » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:05 pm

I pretty much prefer bare fingerpicking on guitar (both acoustic and electric). I feel like I have better control over my fingers than I do a flatpick and I have never been able to get used to thumbpicks and fingerpicks. I grow the nails on my right hand just past the end of my finger, so that gives me the option of picking with the flesh only, or flesh and fingernail or just fingernail. That gives me three very distinct and different sounds. You only get one with a flatpick!
Elecktrablue
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:45 pm

ricochet wrote:Goin' commando, Maxx? :lol:

Can't been the feel of fresh air and the sense of freedom..
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flatpick Vs Bare Fingerpicking

Postby Slacker G » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Hope I'm not too late to muster.

I also prefer finger picking. Sometimes I use all of them. (My pinky likes to jam too. :mrgreen: ) I LOVE the sound and feeling of being "One with my guitar" that finger nails give. The tone is far different than with a pick. However, for really driving faster songs I use a super thin nylon pick. The nylon pick gives almost a fingernail sound. And my nails don't fly off my fingers like pop corn on the hard driving tunes.
When I break a nail, I use the flat nylon pick. I can pick with most all my fingers while holding the pick and do moderately as well as without. But a lot of stuff can't be done easily while holding a pick. To me, nothing sounds as sweet as finger picking without finger picks. The nail sound is very non aggressive and bright on the initial attack. On the other hand, finger picks give a raunchy aggressive attack. Great for some stuff. Mainly Dobro and steel. In fact, my drummer uses finger picks when he plays so his congas have an edge.
When I was working clubs, I simply changed picking styles when I trashed my nails, until they grew back. Tried picks, but they were too harsh sounding for me. {I'm one of those prima donnas that can't stand to play my normal style when it doesn't sound right.) When I trash a major nail, as the one between my thumb and my highway greeting finger, I clip them all and just use my finger tips. most of the time that happens I hold my thin pick in my teeth until the ride.
So my vote is for fingers hands down.
Slacker G
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am

I try the hybrid pick......or attempt it, especially with slide & riffs.....gotta practice that pick hide,cup or whatever you wanna call it.....
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:41 am

You could hide your pick in your cup.
ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues