Flatpick Vs Bare Fingerpicking

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Flatpick Vs Bare Fingerpicking

Postby resonut » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:14 am

Alright which do you Prefer?
I do both but find I'm really liking the fingerpicking.

A Flatpick could give you Speed & Volume...
But Fingerpicking gives you a nice Mellow Tone plus you get to use your Thumb & 1,2, or 3 (4) fingers!

Let the Rumble Begin!!!!
resonut
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Flatpick Vs Bare Fingerpicking

Postby littleboyblue » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:22 am

There's also the option to use a thumbpick and finger picks to get the best of both worlds in a sense. Volume and multiple fingers. My problem however is that I started trying to play fingerstyle before I had any finger picks or a thumb pick. By doing so my hand has become trained to be in a certain position while I play. When I finally got some finger picks and a thumb pick I tried to use them and just plain couldn't do it. The angle of my hand and the part of my thumb and fingers that I use to pick are just all wrong and the picks don't catch the strings. I could try to re-learn how to finger pick I suppose, but I'm a combination of bullheaded and lazy so that probably won't happen. I guess I'll just have a style of going barefingered, unless I can rig my own picks that function at the proper angle.
littleboyblue
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:48 am

What LBB said.

I LOVE the sound of my tricone with metal fingerpicks, but it takes a lot of steady practice to get comfortable using them, and when I try playing with bare fingers I just go right back to it. I have to pretty much re-learn tunes I'm already familiar with to play them with the picks on, because the "muscle memory" doesn't work. The fingertips are in a different position. I have to concentrate on where I'm picking, and then it won't "flow."

I've pretty much forgotten how to use a flatpick, though it does have advantages especially for speed in repeating on a single string. Some fingerpickers can really burn it up, though!
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:10 am

Pretty much the same here...I will go bare fingered sometimes for recording, and I generally play an electric barefingered as well, but playing live, I generally use a thumbpick and 2 fingerpicks.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby resonut » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:11 am

Yes, I'm using the Flatpick far less now.
I tried the metal finger & thumb picks but felt too awkward with them.
I guess with a lot of practice I might get used to them.

I do like the bare fingers though and on the downstrokes you could use your nails (Frailing?) for some dynamics & volume. You could also use your thumbnail or fingernail to pluck a single note too.

I've just been doing this pretty much the past year but I like the results.

-ResoNut-
resonut
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:18 pm

>Alright which do you Prefer?
>I do both but find I'm really liking the fingerpicking.
>
>A Flatpick could give you Speed & Volume...

just volume, and you can always snap the string for volume- as for speed, have you ever heard Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler rip it up without a pick? Think about it - you've got more picking implements playing with out a pick, much easier to play more notes.

To get a pick's attack without one, just use the back of your first fingernai for downstrokes, and the back of your thumbnail for upstrokes.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby resonut » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:35 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-04 AT 10:35 AM (EST)]Yeah, I like Snappin' them strings. It's cool and adds some Dynamics.

I've been using my Fingernails on the Downstrokes but have'nt incorporated using the Thumbnail on the Upstrokes- Good Tip!

And I agree with your Observation about Chet, Etc.

I'm getting more proficient with my Thumb, Index & Dirty Bird Finger.

-ResoNut-
resonut
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dfduck » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:54 am

I decided decades ago I wasn't going to use a pick. I've seen too many people who "couldn't play" because they had no small piece of plastic with them. So I never wanted to have to rely on them. I use my fingers only. I do 2 finger picking using thumb and index finger. And use my index finger exactly like you would a pick. People think I'm using a pick because of the way I hold my thumb and finger together. I use the nail on the down stroke and back of index finger on the up stroke. By squeezing my thumb into my index finger, like I'm holding a pick, it makes the end of my finger harder which gives me a little more of a pick sound rather than a soft finger sound. I have no problem double picking this way.
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:48 am

My philosophy is fingerpicking for ALL acoustic playing and flatpicks (some of the time) for electric. When I flatpick on electric guitar I inevitably do the "pick & fingers" pseudo-Merle Travis rockabilly thing.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:23 am

I've got a blister on my middle finger, I guess going on holiday without a guitar caused me to lose my calluses. There's a lesson there, I'm sure.
So I'll be using fingerpicks for Wednesday night's gig.
That applies only to open-D and open-E tunings though, because I've never been able to get them to work in standard or open-G. So, for songs in those tunings, I'll just have to ride through the pain barrier.
The advantage is that for those "Elmore-style" songs, there will be more volume. I've known the fingerpicks to come flying off when the old fingers start to get a little sweaty, but usually the trick of putting the picks in a cup of hot water until they soften, then moulding them to your thumb & fingers and letting them cool works pretty well to prevent them escaping.
I'm pretty much in agreement with Duck here; ideally (and usually) I don't like to rely on having picks to be able to play.
stumblin
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 am

I'm with Zak, no picks for acoustic. Although I don't use fingerpicks either. I can't stand them.
As for electric, I got way too into country at one point, I can't even imagine playing without doing the hybrid picking thing..
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:41 am

I got mesmerised playing a really oddball "Ladies" sized Martin (with an oval soundhole) this afternoon - and wound up using a light, flexible flatpick. NOt my usual thing - but damn, it sounded good.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:22 pm

Yeah, those things do have their uses. Once in a while I like to crank up the electric and play some Bo Diddley type stuff, and you can't beat a thin flatpick for that, either.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 pm

I love thin picks for fast strumming and then turn it so I use the upper corner for single note stuff!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:44 am

Exactly what Rustyslide said. Both of those fingerpickers can rip it up fast.

I am the same way as LittleBoyBlue with learning fingerstyle and then trying to use fingerpicks. It's hard for me to use them because my hand is used to sitting a certain way with out them, and then they give you the extra length so my hands end up not sitting where theyre comfortable. That made sense to me, but I'm not sure if it will for you. hahaha.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues