RIP R.L.Burnside

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RIP R.L.Burnside

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-05 AT 01:30 PM (EST)]http://www.fatpossum.com/images/photo/burnside/1.jpg
November 21, 1926 - September 1, 2005
bighollowtwang
Regular

RE: RIP R.L.Burnside

Postby bluesmouse » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:38 pm

That's really sad news.

I'm glad that we have so many good recordings to remember him by and that his family can be proud of. R.I.P. R.L.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh man! Another great one gone!
I just started listening to him in the past couple years and had hoped to maybe catch him live somewhere. I LOVE his ver. of Catfish Blues!!! RIP Mr Burnside!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:27 pm

Yeah, R.L.'s been a great favorite of mine for years. I'm sad that he's gone.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:42 pm

A very sad day. The mans music means a lot to me.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby orb mellon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:04 pm

"Ass Pocket of Whiskey" was the album that sparked a true blues awakening for me back in the 90s. Prior to that, i'd never given deep delta blues much thought. FWIW, I really have to give Jon Spencer credit for cracking that nut with us indie rockers at the time.
While I never had the pleasure of meeting RL, I knew people who not only had the pleasure of knowing him but also got to record him in the mid 90s. I vividly remember spending a stoned evening in the hollywood hills with these guys listening to rough mixes of a session RL did with them in LA. The sound was amazing. RL used what these guys gave him to play through. I was told RL was amazed that these big hollywood producers were using all these junky old amps to record with. Of course they weren't exactly junk, they were the most desirable vintage amps around. I guess they weren't Peaveys though.

I remember being blown away at how RL sounded so confident in these basically live recordings. It made me accutely uncomfortable with the recordings my band was in the process of completing for our label at the time. I distinctly remember wondering if I was just a musical dilettante. Well, by comparison, I was. His music was him to the core and it was the real deal. The poetic image of his world that he produced in his music is profound. With Junior Kimbrough, RL defined the sound of the delta for the late 20th century.

His music will be sorely missed.
orb mellon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby streetslim » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:29 pm

you got this from myspace didn't you? same picshure and everything!

Mr. Burnside will be missed,and I'm sad I'll never get to see him play.
streetslim
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:19 pm

I never got to see 'em either.

Reat In Peace, R.L.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 pm

>you got this from myspace didn't you?

I am the one who originally posted the bulletin on myspace early yesterday morning.

http://www.myspace.com/redneckzak
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:02 pm

The first time I saw RL was at the DC Blues Festival - probably 9 or 10 years ago. I had never heard of him and his set blew me away. That night one of my musician friends had a party at her house. RL, Kenny and their drummer showed up. I got to play a couple of songs with them. That was one of the highlights of my musical life.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:47 am

I first met R.L. several years ago backstage after a rollicking set at the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest in Davenport, Iowa . We had a beer together and a few laughs . A most memorable experience . The last time I saw him was this past 4th of July weekend at the same festival . He was there to receive the lifetime achievment award . Frail and confined to a wheelchair , he barely ackowledged the many wellwishers gathering around the stage . It was most maddening to see the insensitive autograph hounds cramming stuff in his lap trying to get him to sign . Finally , one of the Burnside clan put a stop to it. They rolled him on stage to thunderous applause , presented the award and were just ready to take him away......when he motioned for a microphone and with what seemed to be all the strength he had left....raised his hand high in the air and let out with a full voiced "Well ,well , well ." A fitting end to his day .....
R.L. will be greatly missed .....but like all great bluesmen.....his music and the memories he gave so many will live on ....
R.I.P. my friend....
howlnwoof
Regular

Return to Talking Blues