Musicmaker's Katrina relief fund...

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Musicmaker's Katrina relief fund...

Postby stumblin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:41 am

Set up to help struggling blues artists to cope with the Katrina aftermath:
http://www.musicmaker.org/
stumblin
Regular

RE: Musicmaker's Katrina relief fund...

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:47 am

Thanks for that Stumbles. I've been looking for a means through which I can make a meaningful contribution. This may be just the ticket.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks for that one, Andy.

Along those lines...

I heard through a friend of a friend about a Street Musician (guitar player) who's an evacuee from New Orleans. He saved his mother from the flood waters, but in the process, lost his guitar and all his other musical gear...not to mention everything else he lost. Street performing was this guy's sole source of income. Now he's just got the clothes on his back. He's camped out (along with a couple hundred other evacuees) somewhere around here, or he may be in a shelter by now.

She (the friend of a friend) is a musician herself, and she's looking for someone to donate a guitar to the guy. I have an old Ovation Applause acoustic all packed up for him. I'm just waiting on a call from her so I can find out where this guy is.

There were a lot of musicians that lived in that city, both obscure and well known, that have lost everything including their means for making a living. And, just like this guy I'm looking for, are scattered all over the South and elsewhere - in strange cities starting over with nothing.

This is about as worthwhile a charity for musicians everywhere to support as you're going to find.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby santo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:51 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-05 AT 11:00 PM (EST)]There a couple of things I want to say.
First, let me say "Thank You" for thinking of your fellow brother and sister muscians who are suffering after this terrible storm. There are many who will face a very difficult struggle in continuing practicing their craft for a very long time, but it does not stop the the music.
On Monday morning Aug 29 at 6:15am, I was on the phone with my friend, Artie Breslin. The Bone is an accomplished musisian. He has spent 40+ years doing what he loves to do, play music and sing. He excells at singing and playing Classic New Orleans R & B and Rock and Roll. The eye of the storm would pass very close to his home just southeast of New Orleans and he was there waiting it out. There was a fear in his voice, that I have never known him to have in more than 35 years know him.
I couldn't reach him afterwards and tried to contact him and other friends and family. Some are still not heard from, but Artie called me last Monday and in conversations since, I can report that he is fine spirits and has been deputized in his community to aid in operations there. He also told me that he has been singing and playing for the National Guard troops that are camped at the High School across the street from his house. You can't stop the music.

The other thing I would like to say is that New Orleans musicians everywhere have a special feeling for the city and its music and traditions. Last Night I saw Mac Rebenac(Dr. John) on the Shelter from the Storm Benefit. If you did not see the show please follow this link, I am sure you will see for yourself the shock and grief being felt by all those who call New Orleans home.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp/viewer ... t_id=16129

This was sent to me by a friend in LAfeyette LA.

All of our family has come through this Katrina tragedy with only a few minor inconveniencies. However, the situation across LA, AL, and MS remains very desperate. The deaths could reach 25,000 or more and the entire population of New Orleans has been displaced throughout many states. The situation remains critical and New Orleans could be uninhabitable for more than one year. There are over 700 hundred children missing and families torn apart. The population of Baton Rouge has nearly doubled and the population of Lafayette has increased by an estimated 40%. Our schools, hospitals, apartments, highways and infrastructures are severely overloaded. Our phone systems are inundated and we can only make/receive calls approximately 20% of the time, so we have not been able to return many of your calls. Thanks for the concern and keep the prayers and support coming to the Gulf Coast.
santo
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:00 am

A friend of mine went down to Louisiana as a volunteer to help and was shot & killed by a Katrina refugee.

Folks around are pretty upset about this.
grady
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:41 am

Grady, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.
The ugly side of human nature can often be brought forward in a crisis, I'm sure we all can sympathise a little with that idea, but there's just no excuse for shooting someone who's come to help.
I really hope there won't be many more incidents like that, and that people can learn to accept what help comes their way and start rebuilding their lives peaceably.
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:06 pm

Dear Lord, that's horrible, Grady!

So far the evacuees that have come in here sound like good folks needing help. I've been worried about importing gangsters. We've gotten a few of those from the New York area that have been all sorts of trouble, including killing a police dog a few years ago and a policeman last year. The one who did that was laughing, bragging and taunting the other cops a few minutes after ambushing and blasting one in the face point blank with a .357. Apparently he didn't know there was a video camera rolling on him the whole time he sat in the back of the police car, though he'd been read his rights. His attorney tried to get it suppressed, but the judge said "He volunteered those statements, and it will not be suppressed." His family's raised a ruckus about how "He's not a monster, he's a really good kid who's just been misunderstood." He and the young punk who shot the police dog are cousins. Guess they're both misunderstood.

I still well remember a teacher from near here who went to New Orleans pursuing her hobby of photographing tombstones. A robber shot and killed her at the gate of St. Louis #2 Cemetery, I think.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks guys,

Here's the Link

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/ ... 3obits.txt

and here's his obituary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Keith Bradley

BLUEFIELD, Va. - Brian Keith Bradley, 46, of Bluefield, Va., went home to be with his Lord Sept. 3, 2005. While helping with Hurricane Katrina relief efforts in Gautier, Miss., he himself became a victim of crime in the aftermath of the storm.

Born March 3, 1959 in Bluefield, he was the loving son of Betty Jo Bradley Harris and Clifton Fitzsimmons and the stepson of Henry L. Harris Sr.

He found God at a young age. He was a self-employed contractor and very well known in the two Virginias along with his business partner of 20 years, Robert Seay.

He was preceded in death by one brother, Joseph Harris; maternal grandparents, Joseph and Helen Bradley; step-grandparents, Stanley Harris and Virginia Taylor.

Survivors include his wife, Angela Washington Bradley of Burlington, N.C.; son, Jermaine (Michelle) Bradley of Bluefield, Va.; mother Betty Jo Bradley Harris; and stepfather, Henry L. Harris, Mudfork, Va.; father, Clifton Fitzsimmons, Wichita, Kan.; three brothers, Henry L. Harris Jr., of Bluefield; Sammy L. Harris of Bluefield, Stanley G. Harris, Mudfork, Va.; three sisters, Cindy (Richard) Harris, Mudfork, Helen (Ricky) Harris, Ohio, Virgi (Gordon) Harris, Roanoke, Va.; two uncles James R. Bradley, North Tazewell, Va., Claude G. (Doretha) Bradley, Columbus, Ohio; grandchildren, Shanie Tyann Bradley, Jermill Markee'se Bradley, and Jermiah Keith Bradley. Several nieces, nephews, grand nieces, grand nephews, and a host of cousins; and special friends, Alfreda Williams and Stephanie Miller. He also had many other dedicated friends who will miss him.

Family will receive friends at Chapel Funeral Home Friday, Sept. 9, 2005 from 6-8 p.m. Services will be Saturday, Sept. 10, 2005 at Chapel Funeral Home beginning at 1 p.m. with Rev. Johnny Elmore officiating. Burial will follow at Thompson's Cemetery, Tiptop, Va.
grady
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Grady, I'm so sorry to hear that. There are some real animals in the world.

I was thinking that this happened in New Orleans, but the obituary states that he was in Gautier, Miss. Is that right?

As far as I had heard, up to this point, all that kind of stuff was occurring in N.O. A friend's brother went down to Mississippi on Friday to bring building supplies and food, clothes, etc. I remember discussing with her that he'd be safer than if he'd headed into New Orleans. Maybe not.

I also worry about the effects in some of the comunities that have taken in these refugees - my city included. And you know...that's REALLY tragic because the overwhelmingly vast majority of these people are honest law abiding citizens in the most dire need of campassion. But the fact is, parts of New Orleans were extremely dangerous. Who knows where those thugs are now?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Thanks BluesMcGoo,

Yes,,,with over 1000 Katrina Refugees currently here in West Virginia,,I worry about the crime rate going up also.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:10 pm

So sorry for the loss of your friend Grady!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:34 pm

I just got this in the mail...

Dear Jazz Fest Live friends,

Good news, and sad news.

The good news - possibly some of the best news to emanate from the Crescent City in a while: the 2006 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is on. The details are understandably sketchy still, but Quint Davis - the festival's producer - confirmed to me last week that they are proceeding with the plans for the 2006 festival. We will keep you posted as we get more information.

The sad news came to us on Sunday morning: Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown passed away at the age of 81. Even though he started his recording career in the 50's and 60's at Chess Records (the famous Chicago blues label that launched Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, and Buddy Guy among others) he often resisted being labeled a blues musician. Granted, many of his songs are considered blues classics, however, Gatemouth was an American music legend - equally comfortable composing and performing country, R&B, blues, swing, Cajun, and bluegrass.

We were very excited when Gatemouth agreed to let us record his Jazz Fest performances. Sadly, this year's recording was Gatemouth's last. To honor his memory, we have re-mastered his performances from the 2004 and 2005 Jazz Fest on a new 2-CD album containing truly awesome versions of many of his classics such as "The Drifter", "Guitar In My Hand", and "What A Shame". For a limited time, we include free shipping to our Jazz Fest Live friends and customers at: http://www.jazzfestlive.com.

Thanks again for your interest.

Peer Munck
Jazz Fest Live Executive Producer

"Gatemouth"
special
2 CDs
FREE SHIPPING

'05 Compilation
plus over 50 individual performers
PROCEEDS TO KATRINA VICTIMS

Help spread
the word...