Sideman trying' to learn lyrics

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Sideman trying' to learn lyrics

Postby jeffl » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:38 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-05 AT 10:39 AM (EST)]I've always had trouble learnin' lyrics to tunes,since I mainly only sing backup vocals. Because of this,I sometimes don't even know the title of tunes,or can't jump to a spot in the tune during rehearsals when we're goin' over stuff. I feel like I just don't know the tunes that well sometimes, cuz I'm concentrating on the music parts. Anybody got some tips for doin' this in an efficient manner. Should I be downloading lyrics off the internet, or what....? (BTW,I play harp.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Sideman trying' to learn lyrics

Postby nizer » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:53 pm

First of all Bubba, does your band have a set list? I recommend choosing 30 - 40 songs and they become the core of the show. Every player should get a CD with the songs in order so the band can get at least get those down tight. And lyric sheets with chords, arrangement, whatever else can help people get the tunes down. Then you don't stand around deciding which song to play during the set and you know what tune is coming up.

As for learning lyrics, that's one thing I seem to be good at. The way I do it is to think of the song like a story or a play. Each verse is an "act". When I think of it that way I find it easier to remember - I just have to remember where I am in the "story". I learn one verse at a time, getting it down completely before moving on to the next verse. I find this is much more effective than rote memorizing.
nizer
Regular

RE: Sideman trying' to learn lyrics

Postby jeffl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:30 pm

I shoulda clarified one thing,Nizer: the songs on the set list aren't a big problem- it's just learning tunes in general that I feel like I should know. Basically the "standards",and especially tunes which include harp parts.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues