RE: Squeeze my Lemon

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby mtblues » Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:37 am

"Her daddy must have been a millionaire, cause I can tell by the way she walk..." Sonny Boy Williamson II in "Born Blind."

Great line.

MtBlues
mtblues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:16 pm

Yea he got it from Led Zepplin...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:57 pm

I'm not at all surprised this happened!

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby laughing boy » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:43 am

"please let me roll your lemon til your good juice come"
-Bo Carter

"Train left the station, blue light on behind, blue light was my blues, the red light was my mind."
-Blind Lemon Jefferson "Dry Southern Blues" 1926
laughing boy
Regular

Postby hoodoo hand » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:47 am

"Train left the station..."

He stole that from Mick Jagger.
Honest, I saw him do it!
hoodoo hand
Regular

Postby mikedev » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:16 am

Well Keef looks old enough to have had stuff stolen by Blind Lemon, even if Mick isn't quite there yet!
mikedev
Regular

Postby srvlives » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:38 am

The 'Stones' were just on 60 minutes it was said that Jagger trained for months for their upcoming tour, when Keef was asked what does he do to get ready for a world tour he said, through a cloud of smoke and laughter, 'I just show up!'

I wonder if he's going to leave what's left of his body to medical science....
srvlives
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:47 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-02 AT 07:48 AM (CDT)]How could he leave it TO medical science when it already IS medical science? Not to mention it being a medical miracle...

BW
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mardi » Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:00 pm

>Well Keef looks old enough to have had stuff stolen by Blind
>Lemon, even if Mick isn't quite there yet!

There was a great article in "Rolling Stone" magazine...it was an interview with Keith Richards...here's a few quotes from the man himself-(by the way..the interview was conducted over vodka and cigarettes)
-My biggest addiction more than heroin,is the stage and the audience

-People should say."Isn't it amazing these guys can move like that?
Here's hope for you all" (he says with a grin) Just don't use my diet

Interviewer: Is it encouraging to see new guitar music being made in your image?
Keith: That's the whole point. What Muddy did for us is what we should do for others. It's the old thing,what you want written on your tombstone as a musician is "HE PASSED IT ON".
The reason I still play guitar is that the more you do,the more you learn. I found a new chord the other day,I was like "#####,if I had known that years ago..." That's what's beautiful about the guitar. You think you know it all,but it keeps opening up new doors.

Keith describes the difference between Mick and himself...
Mick has to dictate to life,he wants to control it. He can't go to sleep without writing out what he's going to do when he wakes up. I just hope to wake up and it's not a disaster.

The interviewer states: The standard joke is that in spite of every drink and drug you've ever taken,you will outlive cockroaches and a nuclear holocaust. You'll be the last man standing.
Keith: It's very funny,how that position has been reserved for me. It's only because they've been wishing me to death for so many years and it didn't happen. All right,if you want to believe it-I will write all of your epitaphs.

Interviewer: Describe your life at home in Connecticut. When you get up,what do you do ?
Keith: I made a determined effort to get up with the family. Which for me is a pretty impressive goal. But I did it-I'd get up at 7 a.m. After a few months I was allowed to drive the kids to school. Then I was allowed to take the garbage out. Before that,I didn't even know where the recycling bin was. I read alot. I might have a little sail around Long Island Sound if the weather is all right. I do a lot of recording in my basment. I wander about the house,wait for the maids to clean the kitchen,then ##### it all up again and do some frying. Patti and I go out once a week if there's something on in town...take the old lady out for dinner with a bunch of flowers,get the rewards (smiles)
mardi
Regular

Postby mikedev » Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:20 pm

Wow, sounds like Keef has become domesticated after 30 odd years of debauchery.

I've been domesticated over that period, so is it now my turn on the other side?
mikedev
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:47 pm

Keef...y'gotta love him.

Seems there is a Stones ripple going throught the media at the moment.
BBC top of the Pops dedicated a show to them recently.
In interview turns out that Keef allocated "Brown Sugar"(one of my top 10 favourite+complete songs)to Mick.
Seems Keef gave him a G tuned gtr and showed him some shapes.

Keef said they wrote Honky Tonk Woman on a ranch in South America.A sa cowboy tune.

Jagger and Keef were slow off the mark with there own tunes.To try a and crack it (Keef was very nervous about presenting his stuff to the boys in the band)he and Mick had been up allnight trying out tunes, near dawn there was a big noise.

Mick turns to Keef"what the F was that ?"
Keef 2 Jack..jack flash...my gardener ,in his welly boots he is a jumping jack".
And the rest , as they say, is Altamont.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:06 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 02:53 PM (CDT)]Boy have YOU guys been duped.

Delta Blues was invented in Britain in the late 50's, as a kind of musical hoax, by a group of Skiffle musicians and academics.

They hired some Jamaican immigrants to pose with guitars in old Welsh and North Yorkshire mining towns.

They created a bunch of recordings on spurious labels.

And it picked up so much momentum they couldn't reveal the hoax!

There is evidence that Italian film composer Ennio Morricone may have been involved in some of the recording sessions...particularly those attributed to Blind Willie Johnson and Fred Mcdowell.

Oh those crazy Brits and their unfathomable sense of humour! We Americans just can't keep up!

"And we'll play the guitar with...broken bottles!". Really. And you believed it.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:21 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 07:25 PM (CDT)]I tend to the opinion that to say X stole a phrase/tune/lick (whatever) from Y is a rather pointless exercise, except, of course, that Gershwin really did steal the idea of a character called "Bess" from Shakespeare - "Good Queen Bess"...(and Johnson, and Byron, and Wilde, and...)

"Johnson took it from 'she squeezed my lemon' by Roosevelt Sykes (1937)"

RJ recorded "Riverside" in June, 1937, so he had to work fast - he probably stole "riverside" from a street direction.

Meanwhile:
"Won't you look here, baby, what you done done,
You done squeezed my lemon, now you done broke and run,
Awwww, dirty mother fuyer, he don't mean no good,
He got drunk this morning, tore up the neighborhood."
("Dirty Mother For You")

Recorded by, inter alia, Memphis Minnie (1935), Washboard Sam (1935-36)...

"Squeeze/squeezing the lemon" was a common slang expression in the early '30s.

But, to say that about Morricone is just plain daft! It was Mantovani!

And, they did use broken bottles - a famous exponent of the art lives just by me, Pete "No-Fingers" Wlliams. (Used to play with "Thumbless MaGonagle.

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:24 am

No, the line "Squeeze my Lemon" was from a song by Champaigne Charlie, a British music hall singer who wrote many of the lyrics cribbed to create so called "Delta Blues".
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:43 pm

...and HE stole it from Harry Lauder!

Marie Lloyd sang a song with the line:

"She sits among the cabbages and peas..."

Objections were raised about the obvious double-entendre, so she agreed to change to words; the next night she sang:

"She sits among the cabbages and leaks..."

bf
badfinger
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues