Lightnin' Hopkins

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Lightnin' Hopkins

Postby stiff » Wed May 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, there are so damn many!

Anyway, I heard some acoustic songs by Lightnin' Hopkins in one of Stefan Grossmans radio broadcasts (among them the GREAT penetentiary blues), and damn he sounded good! I have a couple of Hopkins albums, but there are only electric recordings, could anyone name an album or two with acoustic recordings?

Thanks in advance.
stiff
Regular

RE: Lightnin' Hopkins

Postby blueswriter » Wed May 04, 2005 7:25 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-04-05 AT 03:26 PM (EST)]This is a 5-disc set on JSP including his earliest recordings with Thunder Smith (done originally for Aladdin), which is Lightnin' playing acoustic guitar with Smith on piano. It also includes some band recordings (with Lightnin' playing electric guitar), but all in all, it's great stuff and will give you a good look at his early work...

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/PhantomArt/198672.jpg

This is a 2-disc set of material Hopkins recorded for Mack McCormick in 1959 and is all acoustic.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioA ... 461761.jpg

This one stands at the top of my Lightnin' acoustic discs... prime stuff, and while out-of-print, it should still be available from some retailers.

http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~nobuta/lightnin.jpg

There's a lot of acoustic Hopkins out there, including a 7-CD set that includes his complete Prestige recordings from the 1960s - it's on the expensive side - but another that's well worth it.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stiff » Wed May 04, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanks a bunch Blueswriter. I'll look around after all those you mentioned, it's a pain finding blues albums from some artists here but hopefully I will find some of them.
stiff
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Wed May 04, 2005 9:40 pm

No problem partner. I was listening to the Sittin' In With Lightnin' disc after posting earlier and I'm still knocked out by out how incredible it is. That was among the first ten blues albums I ever bought ages ago, and it remains a personal favorite to this day!
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu May 05, 2005 5:43 am

I'm not sure what's on the other two, but The Tradition Masters (TCD 1084) is absolutely fantastic if it's Lightnin's acoustic work you're after.
I'd also recommend Blues In My Bottle (CDCHD 930).
stumblin
Regular

Postby stiff » Thu May 05, 2005 6:31 am

Thanks again Blueswriter, I couldn't find Sittin' In With Lightnin' but find a few others.

Thank you too Stumblin', I found "Blues In My Bottle / Walkin This", must be a double right? No tracklist avaliable but I think I'll grab it.
stiff
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Thu May 05, 2005 2:34 pm

Well with Fred McDowell and Lightnin' getting mentions here i'm bout to have a blues-gasm! haha.

I really like Lightnin's hammer ons and fills and little funky nik-naks going on all the time and they always seem to be timed perfectly to get that balance between raunchy and nice and pleasant.

His electric song "Guitar Lightnin'" is one that always stuck in my head after listening a few times. It starts off almost like jazz with the double bass and his little melodies and builds up the that big stomping crescendo with the IV and V chords. And then it just mellows back out like a wave retreating.. haha I tried to play along with it but I have trouble getting the little nuances of the quiet bits right.
cheyenne
Regular

Return to Talking Blues