Cigar Box

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Cigar Box

Postby fatfingers » Mon May 02, 2005 6:34 pm

I've been doing a lot of research about cigar box guitars, and it looks like a fun project to start. I'm in need of a wooden cigar box ideal for making cigar box guitars.

Thanks,
fatfingers
Regular

RE: Cigar Box

Postby dcblues » Mon May 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Here's what you can do: Go to Mexico, Canada, or any place else where Cuban cigars are legal. Buy a box of Cohibas or Romeo Y Julietas and bbring them home. Send me the cigars, and keep the box. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Mon May 02, 2005 7:36 pm

Hey "Fingers" how ya Doin,
You just entered my "territory"..
There are a couple different ways to aquire box's for your building projects.
One is check'n out locally for one of those "Smoker's Palace's" kind of places that sell ciggs and tobacco. They WILL sell you empties for a couple of bucks. If you've already found the Cigar Box builders site you pretty much get the idea of building different musical instruments.
You can also contact some tobacco sites that sell cigars and tobacco, they have empty box's all the time and (for example) will sell you a couple dozen box's for 15 - 20 $. Most people haven't seen cigar box's since your favorite uncle or your GrandPop quit come'n over for Thanksgiving dinner. Take my word for it, there are some REAL COOL box's out there. The one's you want will be the ALL WOOD ones, there are still some of them cardboard ones but they don't get it for guitar construction.

Check out, http://www.cigarboxguitars.com
or http://www.cigarboxguitar.com
or http://geocities.com/cigarboxguitar/

One of the great things about projects like this is getting kids involved. Cub Scout projects can be done for cheap and the benifits will keep a grin on your face for a long time.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fatfingers » Mon May 02, 2005 7:49 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-02-05 AT 03:51 PM (EST)]Haha, DC, sorry man, I'm too young to go to Canada and buy ya some smokes! Ya lazy bum! ;)

BOZ,

Thanks for the fast reply! I looked up all of those sites at school today and that is where I got all of my instruction. Lucky me, I'm going buy a smoke shop this afternoon, I'll be sure to ask if they have some.

Thanks,
fatfingers
Regular

Postby trey » Mon May 02, 2005 8:11 pm

If that don't work out for ya, i've got plenty of cigar boxes lying around. I would be happy to send you one or two for your project.
trey
Regular

Postby houndog » Mon May 02, 2005 8:12 pm

Hello,
or you could save yersel a lot of cursing and get Boz to majic a proper cbg instrument up for you at a great price.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby fatfingers » Mon May 02, 2005 9:16 pm

Update:

I just got back from the smokeshop and the ederly lady there said that she hasn't seen a wooden cigar box in years. All she had was cardboard boxes.

Trey,

That would be very generous of you to send me one. You can contact me through email about the expenses and everything of sending one to me. Thank you very much!

ajwatson@gmail.com
fatfingers
Regular

Postby trey » Mon May 02, 2005 9:29 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-02-05 AT 07:44 PM (EST)]>Update:
>
>I just got back from the smokeshop and the ederly lady there
>said that she hasn't seen a wooden cigar box in years. All
>she had was cardboard boxes.
>
>Trey,
>
>That would be very generous of you to send me one. You can
>contact me through email about the expenses and everything
>of sending one to me. Thank you very much!
>
>ajwatson@gmail.com

Well, do me a favor and never go to that Cigarshop again because they ain't go no tastey cigars if all they sell is stuff in cardboard boxes...

What size box are you looking for? I've got big ones and little ones, and some inbetween ones...
trey
Regular

Postby boz » Mon May 02, 2005 9:38 pm

That "elderly lady" must be stash'n them wooden cigar box's for some of them nut cases that defile'm by make'n purses out of em.
If you search around for other cigar stores they WILL have wooden box's. Some of the box's are really nice woodwork, dovetail joints and great artwork. I had a clerk tell me that all they had was cardboard box's at one of those chain cigar store outlets.
It's difficult to tell what their made out of with the labels in place. Actually, cardboard is in the minority.
Make sure you do your study'n before you go to build'n.
Good Luck..
(p.s., Thanks for the plug Lovat!! Jamie's build'n up a storm !!
She's doing a series of Diddley Bows and they are DYNOMITE !!)
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Hey Trey,
Send him some Partagas or Macanudo.
The Partagas are some of my favorites. (The box's not the cigar.)
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Tue May 03, 2005 2:56 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-02-05 AT 10:58 PM (EST)]Oh yeah, go man go! Keep checking around for tobacco places and you're sure to run across a place in your area that can supply you.

I have been looking for a steady supply of late (thanks to that dastardly Boz!). I am in Kentucky and there are tobacco outlets everywhere for the out of state (black market) trade. I stopped at a new one on the way home and one of my former students was working there. She has promised to save the boxes for me.

Check the files of those sites Boz listed. There are all kinds of ideas buried away in there. Get ideas and be creative; and above all, let us know what you come up with.

EDIT: I forget to mention, you can hear my CBG (again, thanks to Boz--he causes more trouble...) on my soundclick site. The playing isn't the best, but it will give you a good idea what a cigar box can sound like.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fatfingers » Tue May 03, 2005 9:37 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-03-05 AT 05:46 AM (EST)]I sent Trey all of my info and everything. I can't wait until it comes in the mail.

David, I love "Among the Leaves", what tuning is that? Also, do you know where I can get a microphone (pickup) already soldered to an 1/4" output jack so I can mine electric? I could do this myself, but my soldering iron doesn't work right now, and ATM I don't have enough spare cash to buy a new one.

EDIT: What tuning are you in in "Among the Leaves"?
fatfingers
Regular

Postby boz » Tue May 03, 2005 10:53 am

Hey Fingers,
If you go to those CBG sites an look around there is information there on how to turn your average Mom an Pop DOORBELL innerd's into a Piezo pickup for your "StringBlaster" cigar box guitar creation.
No Kidding !! You can take about $3 dollars worth of Radio Shack parts and make a decent pickup. HIT THE BOOKS !! STUDY ON IT !!
LESS IS BEST !! CIGAR BOX MUSIC TO THE WORLD !!
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Tue May 03, 2005 1:37 pm

"Among the Leaves" is in Open E.

The CBG will take higher tunings than my resonator guitar because the neck runs all the way through the body and both ends of the strings are attached to the same piece of wood: No joints to pull loose.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fatfingers » Tue May 03, 2005 6:55 pm

>Hey Fingers,
>If you go to those CBG sites an look around there is
>information there on how to turn your average Mom an Pop
>DOORBELL innerd's into a Piezo pickup for your
>"StringBlaster" cigar box guitar creation.
>No Kidding !! You can take about $3 dollars worth of Radio
>Shack parts and make a decent pickup. HIT THE BOOKS !! STUDY
>ON IT !!
>LESS IS BEST !! CIGAR BOX MUSIC TO THE WORLD !!

Yeah, I looked and I only found one tutorial on it for those cheap radioshack pups and it required a soldering iron, and that's my problem, I don't have one.
fatfingers
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues