Otis Rush lyric

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Otis Rush lyric

Postby nizer » Wed May 11, 2005 3:42 pm

I'm tying to find the lyrics to an Otis Rush song. I'm not sure, but I think it's called "It Takes Time". It's got a chorus like: "oh baby, you know what it means to be alone..." and I think it's from his Cobra sessions. Thanks...
nizer
Regular

RE: Otis Rush lyric

Postby blueswriter » Wed May 11, 2005 6:00 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-11-05 AT 02:03 PM (EST)]It Takes Time (Otis Rush)

In time, baby, I'll get you off my mind
little by little watch my love slow down
oh yeah, you know what it means to be alone
today you're laughin' pretty baby - tomorrow you could be cryin'

You live for the day you leave tomorrow on its own
we got a little child - should try to make it a home
but oh yeah, you know what it means to be alone
today you're laughin' pretty baby - tomorrow you could be cryin'

There's an old sayin' every dog has its day
good dog's a winner bad fades away
oh yeah, you know what it means to be alone
today you're laughin' pretty baby but later you'll know what it means to be alone.

Otis re-recorded it on Mourning In The Morning - for Atlantic/Cotillion in 1969 - that one's taken at a much faster clip but the lyrics are the same.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Wed May 11, 2005 6:35 pm

Beautiful. Thanks Blueswriter.

Those piercing opening riffs have haunted me for years. The other night I stumbled over them while I was noodling on my Fender, but I couldn't find the lyrics online. Now I can add it with Sonny Boy's "Don't Start Me Talkin" and Jimmy Reed's "Can't Stand To See You Go" to my currently-most-frequently-played blues tunes.

I'll have to check out Otis' other recordings. I've only ever heard the Cobra sides. They really blew me away but I've read mixed reviews of his later stuff. Any recommendations?
nizer
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Wed May 11, 2005 6:58 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-11-05 AT 03:00 PM (EST)]I'd definitely look for So Many Roads - Live In Concert (available on Delmark) which was recorded in Japan in 1975. Otis Rush on guitar with Jimmy Johnson playing rhythm, Sylvester Boines on bass, and Tyrone Centuray on drums. This is regarded by many (myself included) as the best Otis there is after the brilliant Cobra recordings.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioA ... 140357.jpg

And as much as Otis may take his knocks for much of his post-Cobra catalog, there really isn't anything (in my opinion) by him that doesn't have its exceptional moments. But start with the above disc, and then look for others. He's still somewhat active (following a stroke a while back), and there's a DVD of him (from 1999) that I reviewed recently here...

http://www.bigroadblues.com/dcforum/DCF ... 3/155.html
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Wed May 11, 2005 7:11 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out.
nizer
Regular

Return to Talking Blues