Acoustic Slide Guitar Recommendations

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Acoustic Slide Guitar Recommendations

Postby trigonometry » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:10 pm

Hello!. Can anyone recommend any Modern Acoustic Slide Guitar artists or songs that may sound identical to these samples?

http://www.platinumloops.com/acoustic_s ... ples.shtml

I am somewhat new to slide guitar and I am having difficulty obtaining information on particular artists of this sub-genre. Thanks for your time!

-Justin
trigonometry
Regular

RE: Acoustic Slide Guitar Recommendations

Postby stumblin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:24 pm

"I am having difficulty obtaining information on particular artists of this sub-genre."
Stick around, have a read through the thousands of posts here, you'll soon find that you have more than enough information!
stumblin
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:45 pm

Trig -

Try David Kampmann. Some of his stuff is along those lines. Here's a link to his Soundclick Site, where you can hear his music:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=112006

And here's his website:

http://www.davidkampmann.dk/

He's a monster player. One of the best, IMHO.

He also posts here occassionally.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trigonometry » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:45 pm

Thank you for the recommendations everyone :). I had managed to check out the bluesometwosome website. The music was very interesting, the slide guitar sound I was looking for. I was listening to David Kampmann's individual songs on soundclick. Absolutely aweinspiring. I know this may sound annoying, but instead of artists this time, can anyone recommend and individual albums? Thanks alot!

-Justin
trigonometry
Regular

Postby tom » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:22 pm

Also you should listen to Alvin Youngblood Hart. He doesn't always play slide though. I like his version of Motherless Children more than Blind Willie Johnsons!!
tom
Regular

Postby mardi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:20 pm

Hi Trig'...
I would say if you're new to "slide" guitar why not listen to as many slide musicians as you can find....
Here are my recommendations:
Alvin Youngblood Hart...John Hammond...Guy Davis....Paul Geremia....Kelly Joe Phelps ...Paul Rishell...Chris Whitley...Rory Block....all living I might add !
If you like their music try listening to the original blues masters like Charlie Patton,Son House,Johnny Shines and Robert Johnson.
mardi
Regular

Return to Talking Blues