Michael Burks

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Michael Burks

Postby doctor cdog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:39 am

Has anyone listened to Michael Burks? I recently picked up one of his albums, Smells Like Smoke, and really enjoyed much of it. One of the songs, "Miss Mercy", had an interesting sound to it. Does anybody know of any other songs by other artists that has this sort of sound? It is a little funky, but still blues, in my opinion.
doctor cdog
Regular

RE: Michael Burks

Postby trey » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:59 am

I like Mr. Burks also, his other album, Make It Rain, is great also. He has distinct tone and flawless playing style, if you get a chance try and see him live he's even better...

Don't really know of anyone who's exactly like him, but Ronnie Baker Brooks has a kind of high octane style also but he's more approaching Blues-Rock than Micheal Burks.
trey
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:44 pm

I caught Burkes live a few months ago. He yanked and pulled on a strat so hard I could see the neck bending from my seat. He sounds better live than his record, more blues. His song "He Sure Has a Way With Women (He Got Away With Mine) is great.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:22 pm

Try finding his 1997 independent release "From The Inside Out" . He had recently won the "Albert King Award" from the National Blues Foundation as best new guitarist and this release shows why ....
saw him that summer playing a flying V just like Albert .....the guy was amazing . 'Course that was before Iglauer got hold of him and "Alligatorized" him.......
howlnwoof
Regular

Return to Talking Blues