hottest current live acts...

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

hottest current live acts...

Postby nizer » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:01 pm

Hey BRBr's, I need some help. I am part of the management team for the Burlington Jazz' n Blues Festival (http://www.burlingtonjazzbluesfestival.com/ - website sucks - I'm re-doing it from scratch). We just finished our successful third year and are planning next summer to be bigger and better. We are looking for some HOT Fri / Sat night headliners (I'm recommending the Blues acts). Who have you seen lately that qualifies?

Thanks

p.s. Above is part of the view from the main stage...it's awesome.
nizer
Regular

RE: hottest current live acts...

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:29 pm

Well...it's got to be John Mooney. He puts out enough energy to light a fair sized city. Not to mention some of the bluesiest vocals and slide guitar chops out there. To say that I think he's a great live act is quite an understatement.

Alvin Youngblood Hart is always good. He does solo acoustic shows (my favorites) and full on electric band shows. Definitely has an "authentic" vibe, whatever that is.

Sonny Landreth is always good. Not really blues per se, but it's certainly entertaining music. Has a lot of Cajun influences in his music. One thing for sure, you'll be picking up your jaw off the floor.

Another guy that jumped to mind is Otis Taylor. I saw him on Woodsongs and he really made an impression on me. Very interesting, inspired music with a definite groove.

Those come immediately to mind. Keep us up on the fest. Hope it all goes well for you.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:59 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-05 AT 10:59 AM (EST)]>Well...it's got to be John Mooney. He puts out enough energy
>to light a fair sized city. Not to mention some of the
>bluesiest vocals and slide guitar chops out there. To say
>that I think he's a great live act is quite an
>understatement.
>
>Alvin Youngblood Hart is always good. He does solo acoustic
>shows (my favorites) and full on electric band shows.
>Definitely has an "authentic" vibe, whatever that is.

Oh yeah I definitely agree with those two choices!

I'd also add Corey Harris who might not be as consistent as Alvin but when he's good he's GREAT. In some ways more authentic and less sweet sounding than Alvin, and less eclectic.

I also really like Homer Henderson, not strictly a blues act (though he can play incredible blues) but rather a one-man-band in the tradition of Joe Hill Louis or Hasil Adkins.

http://www.reverbcentral.com/reviews/h/ ... on1091.jpg

For less downhome, more modern stuff I'd also throw in Junior Watson, that guy is electrifying to watch, one of the most badass electric blues players around.

Nick Curran is another amazing singer and guitar player who doesn't get nearly enough credit.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:08 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-05 AT 11:14 AM (EST)]T Model Ford or R.L. Burnside are two current guys that i'd love to see on stage. I'd definitely get excited and buy a ticket if either were in town.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:33 pm

I think their touring days are over.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:35 pm

The House of Blues website, BTW, has a couple of full length Quicktime movies of R.L. Burnside live shows.

ricochet
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:21 pm

>The House of Blues website, BTW, has a couple of full length
>Quicktime movies of R.L. Burnside live shows.

I tried to find 'em but I can't...do I have to register with their site or something? Do you have a link to the videos?
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:29 pm

R.L. Burnside passed away today.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:10 pm

>R.L. Burnside passed away today.

What??!!?

Oh, crap.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:22 pm

The announcement's here: http://fatpossum.com/

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:25 pm

HOB doesn't seem to have any videos online anymore. They used to be there.

ricochet
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:02 am

That's a shame about R.L. .... Just after I mentioned wanting to see him too!
cheyenne
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:50 am

When I checked out that Fat Possum link in Ric's post, I was reminded of somebody else that would be a good act for the Fest...

Robert Belfour.

Another one that's the real deal.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trey » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:54 am

Terrible news about R.L Burnside.

A couple of good, younger acts that come to mind are;

Nick Moss- Great Chicago style guitarist with a tight band and great voice. Going to see him live in afew weeks, I can report back on how the show was if you would like.

Kirk Flectcher/Nick Curran- Two yong West Coast style guitarist who can absolutly cook on guitar. Both are currently on tour with the Fabulous Thunderbirds, but who know's what they maybe doin in a year bandwise. Nick used to have his own band, which were killer in their own right, but he disbanded it in order to play for Kim Wilson. I hope they get back together because they were a great, young, blues band.

Ronnie Baker Brooks- Son of Lonnie Brooks and a great guitarist and singer who will bring bucketloads of energy to any venue(wouldn't want to go on stage behind his) He can do nearly any style of Blues to perfection and can also do the Blues-Rock thing if that's what the crowd wants.

Micheal Burks- Soulful voice and precise playing(great tone too) Saw him live at a festival last year and was blown away by his playing, and stage prescene. Sure to be a crowd pleaser.
trey
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:15 pm

I'll second Troy on two of his choices-

Nick Moss (& the Fliptops)- Saw them a couple years ago and they were a top notch act. Great guitar player and singer. Nick's wife Kate, a former model, is a knockout on bass (I couldn't take my eyes off her)and Barrelhouse Chuck is one of the greatest living keyboard players there is.

Ronnie Baker Brooks- The apple don't fall too far from the tree and Ronnie has given Lonnie every reason to be proud. Second generation blues at it's finest. I've seen him twice.

and...Sherman Robertson- don't think I've ever seen anyone put as much soul and emotion in their singing, incredible. If you're looking for female talent- E.C. Scott is always a big hit, I've seen her three times.

For raw gutbucket blues- Magic Slim and the Teardrops. 'Nuff said.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Talking Blues