Paul Butterfield Blues Band

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Postby bosco » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:33 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-05 AT 08:37 AM (EST)]Just re-acquired this disc after my original was stolen a few years back. Simply a great recording and considered a blues classic. Paul offered more money and recruited Howlin' Woof's rhythym section of Jerome Arnold and Sam Lay for his band and initial recording. Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop shed their knickers in this band as well. Cut in 1965, the same year the group backed Dylan at Newport and set the world on it's ear, the pure energy of this album would never be duplicated again. There is nothing too over the top here for you Delta style purists...just one of the tightest six piece outfits and some of the best songs that Chicago ever produced.

Be sure to get Paul's first release, simply titled "The Paul Butterfield Blues Band" (Elektra 7294-2). Any subsequent releases were wrought with personel changes, Asian and Jazz influence and wranglings with producers and record labels. A shame, really.

This CD hasn't been out of my player in over a week.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:03 pm

I share your assessments and cd collection,Bosco! Butterfield's music had its own special "pop". His music had drive.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues