Bob Dylan in Concert

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Bob Dylan in Concert

Postby hogwldfltr » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:20 am

I had both the pleasure and displeasure of going to a Dylan concert yesterday. I was struck by how much of the groups music included either slide or pedal slide. Without it there would have been much less color to the music.

He is definitely losing vocal strength. Not once did he pick up a guitar. He played for 1.25 hours, took a 10 minute break for applause and came back and did a two song ovation. The only address to the crowd was to introduce his band. At the end of the concert, they stood in a line and didn't even take a bow. They just walked off the stage. It was like they were saying you paid to see us; here we are. Adios. He did play some on the harp. But that was pretty uninspired. Most of the songs were covers of his original however they were almost unrecognizable; pretty normal for his later work.

"A wailing song and a good guitar are the only things that I understand, oh Lord."
hogwldfltr
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Bob Dylan in Concert

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:43 am

I wouldn't have paid to see him in the first place. Never saw what people see in Dylan. He can't sing and he can't play too well, either. He did write some pretty decent songs, when they're sung by other people.

But he did get to play with Adrianna Lima cavorting around him in her underwear! :9

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bruneau » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:38 am

I'm not a Dylan fan myself.
But he made some great stuff though!
And sometimes I really can enjoy his music.
Like Rico already said, I would not pay to see him.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:42 pm

The word on the street is that Dylan doesn't play guitar anymore because he has arthritus. Somebody said they saw him pick up a guitar, wince, put it back down and go back to the piano.
Personally, I think the world would be a much better place if Bob could still play the guitar. He was a GREAT guitarist. Listen to his first album (self titled), and his two solo acoustic recordings from the 90's. "Good As I Been To You," and "World Gone Wrong."
And I like his voice, but I can understand how some people wouldn't. =P
Jim A.
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:39 pm

I saw Dylan at the Hampton Roads (Va) convention center back in the late 70's when he was in his gospel stage and it SUCKED BAD! IMO
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:18 pm

Well, they can't ALL be winners. He's been around for forty years, so he's bound to release at least a few albums that are.. less than par. But everyone's like that. I mean, "Electric Mud" anyone?
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:33 pm

I've seen Dylan twice now. The first time (on the back of Time Out of Mind) was very slick and polished. He engaged with the crowd, even doing little shuffle dance steps.

The second time was on the back of Love and Theft. Like has been said, he rarely played guitar and his voice was strange - he went into falsetto for no reason at random points in the songs. Yet, still there was somethign about it. There's a power in his songs and there's an element of the misntrel in what he does. It's like his job is to play and that even when he changes them, the songs still shine through. I get the feeling that he's challenging the audience to get over their expectations to hear a greatest hits show or a three-rign circus and actually engage with the songs themselves. He's not the star - his songs are.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:28 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-05 AT 07:28 PM (EST)] Well said!
Of course, in "No Direction Home" Joan Baez said something along the lines of "Bob was the kind of musician who would do a song in a waltz one night, and then do it in 2/4 the next night just to ##### with you."
But he's golden, as far as I'm concerned.. besides, "Love and Theft"? What an album!
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:00 pm

I think he's a great songwriter; I love to hear other people do his stuff!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby nizer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:26 pm

> besides, "Love
>and Theft"? What an album!

No kidding! It's a monster. I can't play it when anyone else is around - they all hate it ("I'm sick of love... I wish I'd never met you..."). It's one of my favorites.

He's just ornery and has never done what people expected/wanted him to do. Some of his stuff is so bad It's almost like he's doing it on purpose. Then he pulls out a masterpiece. He's completely unpredictable.
nizer
Regular

Postby houndog » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:18 am

Me and Mrs.Houndog went to see him about 10 years ago.
I do think his songs "have something" , but are better done by others. In saying that he has been on Britland Tv a lot and I am seeing some of his early black and white solo stuff which is powerful.

Anyhoo, when I saw him he was drunk, band were shittin' brix, he was in a awful tartan coat and back lit.

Mrs.H got the giggles because there is a great West Coast Scottish tradition of pub singing which makes kareoke look like nursery time, and that is exactly what BD sounded like.A drunk Scottish man on a Friday night in a pub getting up sing his version of a BD song...

I had to take MRS.H out of the concert as the worshippers around us wiz getting tetchy.

£25 each for a laff...:(

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Return to Talking Blues