check it out....

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

check it out....

Postby howlnwoof » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 pm

I stumbled across this website the other day ......didnt have a lot of time but it looked interesting...

http://www.weeniecampbell.com/mambo
howlnwoof
Regular

RE: check it out....

Postby bosco » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:34 am

That's a neat site WOOF. I found this assessment of particular interest-

I have been thinking about pre-Blues material for a long time (years and years) and figured out a long time ago that I particularly like it. I suppose the question comes up then, what makes a song pre-Blues, as opposed to Blues? I think two chordal/harmonic characteristics most strongly define pre-Blues songs:

* Absence of the "blue" IV chord. Blues have a dominant 7 chord with a flat 7 note relative to the IV chord of the scale. Pre-Blues material has either a straight major triad for the IV chord or a telescoped major 7 chord off of the IV note of the scale.

* Absence of the "blue" I chord. Blues most often have a dominant 7 chord (major triad with a flat 7) off of the I chord of the scale. Pre-Blues material has a straight major triad off of I, or, as with the IV chord, a telescoped major 7 chord.

What separates Blues chordally from the various western musics that preceded it, is that it has dominant 7 chords off of I, IV and V. Neither the major scale nor any of the Greek modes conforms to this chordal configuration. As a result, Blues has both a structure and a sound that does not have commonly known precedents prior to its appearance.

John Miller
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

RE: check it out....

Postby ricochet » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:16 pm

I dunno. There's a good bit of stuff that doesn't fit the I, IV, V pattern that I'd still call "blues."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Talking Blues