Great Washboard tracks ?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Great Washboard tracks ?

Postby snakehips » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi there !

I've just got into washboard playing. I really did Blind Boy Fuller stuff with the really driving washboard playing (of Bull City Red, if I'm not mistaken ?).

Any other great washboard stuff ?

Any recommendations what percussion additions I could add on to my washboard ? I was thinking of attaching my melodian wind keyboard to it !! That and a bicicle bell !!
snakehips
Regular

RE: Great Washboard tracks ?

Postby fred » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:08 pm

Google Trainreck. Do some research on trap setups. Washboard Jackson will blow you away. Yet, by some standards, today he may be considered rather a typical percussion player. It is absolutely amazing what folks are doing to enhance a one/two guy thing. Man, just look @ Walter! What an inspiration for this ole pooper!
fred
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lightninboy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:07 pm

Fixin to die and Parchman farm by Bukka White both have some cool washboard playing on them.
However I'm not sure who played it.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:23 pm

The early Sonny Boy 1 stuff has some good washboard I think, as does some Big Bill, and Brownie McGhee. It's one of those two main washboard guys from back then- Red or the other one (forget his name right now). All on those cheap Indigo compilations (more satisfactory than the Yazoo best-offs IMO).
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:34 pm

Check out any of the Devil In The Woodpile stuff on Bloodshot Records. Rick Sherry is a maniac on washboard .....I've seen em add on a bicycle bell , woodblock , small cymbal and a couple of different size tin cans ......get a harp/kazoo rack and strap a tambourine to your foot and you'll be set !
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:08 pm

Don't forget Washboard Sam - there's plenty of great washboard available on his recordings. Lots of the Zydeco greats like Clifton Chenier, Stanley "Buckwheat" Dural, Boozoo Chavis and others shouldn't go without mention either.
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:56 pm

I think it was Washboard Sam who played on the Bukka White cuts.. he also did "Alabama Blues," which was GREAT.
Of course, it's Bukka White.. so what do you expect?
Jim A.
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues