Lightning In a Bottle

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Lightning In a Bottle

Postby spud camp » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:40 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-05 AT 04:46 PM (EST)]Just rented "Lightning In Bottle" this weekend...finally. Over all I thought it was pretty cool. I couldn't quite figure a couple things out though. For one, if you are covering the "story" of blues how do you just brush over the Delta era? The biggest Question I had was WHO IN THE H*LL let Chuck D cover a John Lee Hooker song "Boom Boom" (if that's what you call it). They turned it into some anti war protest song. I Don't ever recall John Lee speaking out against any wars....? I could be wrong. If I am i'm sorry. I understand that the Blues is most definitely about self expression, and everybody is entitled to their opinions. It just seemed kinda disrespectful to one of the greats. I was just wondering if any one else has seen it, and what your thoughts are.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Lightning In a Bottle

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:55 am

I like Chuck D. And I like John Lee Hooker. I don't like any overlap though..
Chuck D has a bad habit of sucking the life out of old blues songs. Remember in that Scorcese video? He did "Mannish Boy" with all those other guys? Blasphemous.
Jim A.
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:34 pm

Who the hell's Chuck D? There were a lot of blasphemers in that Scorsese video series.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:46 pm

Chuck D is the main guy in that rap group Public Enemy. They were big in the eighties ("fight the power"). I think they're great. I love Chuck D.
I don't love Chuck D when he does blues songs. Then I have a very big problem with Chuck D.
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby whiskeyandwomen » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:14 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-05 AT 09:15 PM (EST)]yeah that "cover" he did was pretty much crap, but i really enjoyed that buddy guy segments. i believe it was the first time ive ever heard him play an acoustic.
whiskeyandwomen
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:35 pm

>The biggest Question I had was WHO IN THE H*LL
>let Chuck D cover a John Lee Hooker song "Boom Boom" (if
>that's what you call it).

Who lets anyone cover any song? (besides the copyright control/royalties people) I've heard many bad covers of blues songs (pretty gard to avoid when you run a blues jam for several years), but I never questioned anyone's right to play them.

That said, I'm not a rap or hip hop fan, but when I watch the movie I'll give Chuck D's version a chance. One reason why I waited for the dvd to come out is you can't fast forward the parts you don't like in the theater.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:46 pm

The DVDs of Scorsese's Blues series have been available since the series first aired on PBS. Save your money, it sucked.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:14 am

I meant the dvd of Lightning In Bottle. I watched the Scorsese (and others) series when it was on tv. And we already had that conversation a couple or so years ago.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:26 pm

The Scorcese series sucked? oohhhhhh.. I don't know about that. I didn't like what Chuck D did in that video, but the rest of it was cool. And I thought the one Scorcese directed himself was really good. Are they the greatest thing to ever happen to the blues? No. But they were fun.. I'd recommend them.
Jim A.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:36 pm

We finally rented "Lightning in a Bottle" last night and truly enjoyed it! I agree w/ everyone on the Boom Boom Boom comments! My wife looked over at me during that and commented that the scowl on my face spoke a 1000 words and that most of em would be of the flavorful 4 letter nature! LOL
All in all, I thought it was well done and I think I'm gonna watch it again this morning!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:12 pm

>All in all, I thought it was well done and I think I'm gonna
>watch it again this morning!

Honeyboy Edwards and Buddy Guy make worth watching again. Especially if you can fast forward. I thought Natalie Cole did a fabulous job too.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-05 AT 10:38 AM (EST)]Yep Spud, I really liked Honeyboy and Buddy but all of it had flavor! The young gal Shanika (or sumthin like that) had a hellava set of pipes on her and Killin Floor was purdy cool! Never heard Voodoo Child done that way before.... was interesting! BB always amazes me and Kep Mo is becoming one of my faves! I may have to buy this DVD!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues