Joan Osborne

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Joan Osborne

Postby lorilu » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:04 am

One night sitting around with a bunch of people there was a cassette that had Bonnie Raitt? We couldn't figure out who this was and I'm a big Bonnie fan and was stumped. Well, it was Joan Osborne and she kicks ass. Maybe everyone already knows about her but I didn't. The album is Relish. I'm hooked. This song "Help Me" is like old blues with the vocals resonating with the slide. It's just so real. I loved most of the other songs, lyrics, great musicians. "One of Us" is ok for me, not one I would have bought the album for which is why I didn't know about her. Just thought I'd share this and if anyone knows any other worthwhile recordings of hers let me know. Thank ya kindly.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Joan Osborne

Postby dcblues » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:46 am

I don't have any of her albums and I've never really been a fan. But I love her performance in the movie Standing In The Shadows Of Motown. Her version of "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" is amazing.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:05 pm

I've always liked her cuz she is a powerful singer with a kick-ass attitude. I've got a couple of her CDs,including that one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:06 am

Cool. What are the other albums that are good? Are they as good as Relish? I think she is the real deal - a blues singer, blues lyrics "Oh, your hands are shaking something awful as you light your 27th cigarette..." Is that Eric Basilian on guitar on the other albums, great keyboards, drums the whole thing. My friend said I've been hypnotized by the CD. I have to drive a lot so I'm forcing myself to listen to other CDs in case he's right.
lorilu
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:07 am

She produced and sang background vocals on The Holmes Brothers disc "Speaking In Tongues" ......wish she's do a straight ahead down and dirty blues album .....
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:50 pm

Me too. If anyone can do down & dirty it's her and from the song "One of Us" I wouldn't have guessed. Let's write to her say "Hey Joan, we need some more blues there's plenty a people doing the alt rock thing. We don't come across people like you everyday."
If there was another album, though I wouldn't be listening to the Allman Brother's first CD which I think I love the most. Not more than Joan but in a different way. I just had to find something I could take her CD out for. I'll probably try to find that CD she did back-up on cause it's most likely pretty good.
lorilu
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:04 pm

>I love her performance in the movie Standing In
>The Shadows Of Motown
. Her version of "What Becomes Of
>The Broken Hearted" is amazing.

Totally - sends chills up my spine. The best performance in that film in my opinion.
nizer
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:56 am

So glad to agree with you. But does anyone know about the other CDs not to be demanding and the Allman Brothers are good but I could at least begin my search with any available tips. Get out the credit card at the Wherehouse and find out for myself unless anyone knows.
lorilu
Regular

Return to Talking Blues