Sometimes I think folks outside the US get it better than we

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Sometimes I think folks outside the US get it better than we

Postby jeffcobb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 am

I know the blues is our musical heritage but given how blues music and musicians are treated in the US and abroad, I wonder if they get it better than we do. I mean, here is a self-described surfer dude Ash Grunwald from Australia doing Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf better than most musicians around here. I am not speaking of technical excellence but rather more "heart" in the music. See what I mean on Crossroads, then check out Walkin Blues, Smokestack Lightning and others....
jeffcobb
Regular

Re: Sometimes I think folks outside the US get it better tha

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 am

Well, he appears to be at some fort of festival. You can find blues festivals in the U.S. with tons of people in attendance. I don't know where you're at but around Chicago you can find blues night jams with plenty of extremely skilled player/singers and a very appreciative audience.

It's great that there is an audience for the music somewhere else but I'm sure not all of them love the blues just like not everybody here does. I think nowadays there is SO MUCH music. There are so many genres these days and so many acts you can't hardly know them all. You can talk to somebody with similar musical interest and undoubtedly, you will be listening to some band they never heard of and vice versa.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby jeffcobb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:38 am

I posted this because I could not post what I wanted to which is his Introducing Ash...CD. Give a listen to it, lots of really really good blues, better than most.Finding studio cuts of his stuff on Youtube is hard and because he tours so much that is pretty much what video you will find. Give a listen to the other stuff. He does Robert J. better than most I have seen....even those attempting to imitate him. Ash does sing loud, that is for sure but he has such soul in his music that you know he *knows* the blues....even the Dolphin Song is great...
jeffcobb
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey! It's Ash!

Nice dude. Some of his recent stuff involves adding beats to his blues. You should give it a listen! Check out the album Trouble's Door.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues