AYH - Motivational Speaker

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

AYH - Motivational Speaker

Postby stumblin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:53 pm

Alvin Youngblood Hart's new album, Motivational Speaker is currently playing in my CD drive. I just found it in the Central Glasgow branch of FOPP. It's a similar blend of styles to his other "band" albums (as opposed to his solo acoustic blues output).
Anyhoo, I'm really enjoying it - especially the new version of "How Long Before I change My Clothes".
You can, of course, make up your own minds. There are some samples here: http://www.mojomusic.com/alvin/music.htm#mot
stumblin
Regular

RE: AYH - Motivational Speaker

Postby texastele » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:07 pm

I have had it in my player lately, too. I like some of the album a lot, (the first cut and In My Time of Dying especially), but the album is more rock oriented than I was expecting. I guess this is sort of the same issue that I have had with AYH before, which is that I like his blues and country stuff, but the rock seems sort of generic. This could be beacuse I am more into blues and country than I am into rock, but I don't know.
I saw him in concert when I was living in Starkville, MS and it was a great show. His blues and country was killer. Everybody was real talented, but his rock stuff sort of brought me down.
texastele
Regular

RE: AYH - Motivational Speaker

Postby stumblin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:22 pm

I do know what you mean about Alvin's rock-orientated stuff, Tex.
But for my kind of personal taste, his stuff is pretty much as good as it's likely to get. Respect.
stumblin
Regular

Return to Talking Blues