Did you pay your dues?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Did you pay your dues?

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:05 pm

Grady, I've seen that attitude expressed on other blues boards, and it always pisses me off.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby spud camp » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:22 pm

I do understand the way Grady's earlier comments were suppose to be meant, now. I admit at first I definitely didn't, in fact it came across in the way you are speaking out against, with the "gigging musician" thing. I am not a gigging musician now, but I pay dues EVERY day. I am so freakin sick and tired of paying dues I could puke! Everyday there is something else, it seems, at times, good things only exist to make the bad hurt more. For example last Fri. (the one right before Christmas) my paycheck was $500 less than usual, for some bullsh*t reason. I couldn't even think about going home and looking my family in the eyes and telling them, Christmas or food, you decide. I live pay check to pay check, and that hurt. I am still paying dues for decisions made in the pursuit of music. Sorry I'm going off, I am tired of it all. I guess the point I am trying to make is that to me dues is not always a "blues" thing, its a "life" thing, and I don't want to pay no more. I would much rather go find a nice hole and hide.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Sorry didn't mean to go off, now I feel stupid. I'm having a very hard time of things right now, and sometimes when it gets going I cant stop. I would edit the last post, but some of you have probably already seen it, so that would be silly. I apologize, and I realize that this is no place for that kinda crap. I wont do it again. I greatly appreciate all of you and this forum.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Hey Brother Spud,

No need to repent. The blues is music born of hard times and adversity. This board is real with real people, not cyberfools hiding behind facades.

Many posts in this thread have stressed paying musical dues. Just as many it seems have focused on dues of daily living. Ideally, a combination of both would intersect to create a well rounded bluesman.

You don't need any more information than that to "get it."

Hang in there and keep your chin up, bro. ;D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:56 pm

Yep. Nothing to apologize for. I think we've all been there, one way or another.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:09 pm

Spud: This IS the place for that kind of crap,if yer alright with it... These guys around here have helped me thru some tough things over the last few years,and other guys here have been helped thru alot rougher times than I've experienced. Sooner or later, life's gonna dish up its challenges,to varying degrees,and we've all had 'em. When it comes down to it, the best we got is our relationships,and then we gotta deal with our health. Faith in God helps some of us,and others rely on other things. I used to just drink alot to get through tough times, but that didn't always work,and my wife objected.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:21 pm

Hey Spud!

Don't worry dude. We've all been there. I've posted a lot of things that I later regret, but just like family, the folks here let you vent and then it's time to move on.

As for the subject of this thread, yeah I've played out a lot in all sorts of places. But if Son House is to be believed (and who wouldn't?) The Blues ain't about nothin' but what happens between a man and a woman. If that's the case, I've definitely paid some dues.

Take care Spud, and good luck to you.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:31 pm

I cant express in words how much all your comments mean to me. I know I am a new kid, but this forum and the blues are the only consistent things I have in life right now. When I click on the icon I know BRB is there, and there are a bunch of really great people who share a love for the feel, and reality of the blues. That is so comforting. When I put in Johnny, Son, or JLH. I know they are going to tell me about their hard times, and for some weird reason, it makes me feel like everything will be alright. When I first posted this thread, I thought I had just caused a train wreck, now it has come full circle, and is a beautiful thing. You are all very inspirational people, and I am so glad I have a place to go and escape reality for just a few moments here and there (my wife thanks you too, I get a little grumpy sometimes). I want you all to know, and I am most sincere, YOU ARE THE TRUE BLUES LEGENDS, at least in my book. Thank you.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:41 am

>I couldn't even think
>about going home and looking my family in the eyes and
>telling them, Christmas or food, you decide.

Oh brother, I've been there. No one who hasn't can even begin to imagine the pain of a day like that. Like all of the other great posts above show, we are real people here, not online goofs hiding behind a web avatar. You will not be rejected for being human.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with your post. You are just trying to provide for your family and your integrity and dignity as a man shows through, to me anyway. That's tops in my book.
nizer
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:44 am

The way I look at it is,,,we all play the Blues.

Nobody has any right to look down their nose at or belittle anyone else who plays music.
Regardless of Pedrigee,,Color,,Country of Origin.

No one is any better than anybody else.

We're all Human Beings and we're all created in God's image.

and we all put our pants on one leg at a time.

I've experienced a lot of "Racism" in this Business and I'll just leave it at that.
grady
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:12 pm

Spud, everybody, I like it here. Wouldn't change it for anyone.

Paying musical dues: I'll be at Broughton Astley, we'll all find out together if the hours and years add up to a few worthwhile minutes.

And Spud, I've been there and bought the T shirt on incorrect/crappy pay packets too. Still don't get paid what I'm worth (shortest queue in the world is people complaining about being overpaid).

Keep on pushing though, the light at the end of the tunnel does stop being an oncoming train.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:34 pm

Paying life dues is what I was illuding to way back on page 3, and why I feel so at home here. Other than trashed fingertips and sore joints, I haven't payed any musical dues. I have fun playing music with my friends, but get very little feeling out of it, other than the fun of doing it. That's why, when I'm alone with my reso or banjo, I play blues. That's why, when I read these posts, I feel like I belong here. Thanks Spud! I can go to other forums any day and read about the best value in instruments, or the latest gadget or CD, or learn about purist styles and pyrotechnic playing...but what I read here is priceless. One thing about being stoned living out of a duffle bag, with a string of X's and being bankrupt, is that when (not if) things turn around, you apreciate it so much more. You also realize how fragile life is, and how easy a string of events can land you right back on your knees. Sometimes I think every day is a learning experience of how to survive the ##### when your in it, how to pull out of it, and how to try to stay out of it...yet, with anxiety, knowing that you can survive when it hits the fan again.
1four5
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:23 pm

Are we smart enough to listen to those who have been down a certain road and knows the good and the bad? When my oldest son was 15 he had a drum set for sale, he lived 300 miles away from me at the time. He called and said another kid wanted them and would pay the $400 but the kid wanted to pay him by the month but take the drums at the moment. Well, having been thru a similar thing on a guitar I told my son not to do it, demand all the money up front before anyone takes the drums. My son did just that and within a week or so the kid had the $400. Because my son listened he did not get ripped off any cash. Dues are in every aspect of the music business. We work gigs right now for $100 to $150 per night. In the big city, 40 miles away they pay more. The band is in the process of breaking into that scene thus our $100 dues or woes may come to an end. I have had to learn my craft from the ground up so when I train new players or talk with them I try to tell them how it has to be done, by hard work and pratice. Some have listened and it shows, some did not and they blow. Are we smart enough to listen?
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby sadea_jn13 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:00 am

I never used to think that expression was logical 'till it done happened to me. Mainly my whole life has been filled with little nooks and crannies of blues incidents.
Heavy problems with my father I care to not discuss,
and loneliness. I been alone for a very long time. .Even with friends,I been alone. Being young and having limited people to connect with the blues. .Living in an isolated place,where the blues is
basicly good as dead..
And it's very hard to get a band together, reason being there are limited blues lovers round here, and especially few blues lovers that are young.

I add this to my list because I am only 18 and although I have 2 best friends, it is hard to find young people to relate with the blues because it is all there is for me.It is my essence and being,and I love it entirely so much..And not many young people do these days..
So yeah, now I know what paying the dues is all about.Everybody's experience's are different,and probably the worst for them because they only have experienced their problems,and not anyone else's.
But it does make me play and sing with feeling. ..

------------------------------------------------

''i groove to the ancient melodies,of my foremothers,and their eternal lovers.''
sadea_jn13
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues