Did you pay your dues?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Did you pay your dues?

Postby watertore » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:30 pm

Paying your dues is not about drinking, divorcing, fighting, druging, and all that other type stuff. Paying your dues is getting to the spot of being honest, following your heart, and not concerning yourself with worldly things.

The drunk, drugs, lots of women, and stuff like that, is a way to avoid accepting the greatness in each one of us! It is a pity how mean we can be to ourself. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby skeeter_s » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:14 am

The bad stuff is mostly for the slo songs. I tend to play more of them then the upbeat stuff.

I suppose you have to decide its time to start livin the happy times, and sometimes the Good Lord, (or the man) will let ya.

I keep payin all the time.

Sometimes it seems like the members benifits suck!!
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:21 am

>The drunk, drugs, lots of women, and stuff like that, is a
>way to avoid accepting the greatness in each one of us!

But that stuff also makes life more interesting. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dgdgbd » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:50 am

I've always considered "Paying my Dues" to refer to having played enough, in enough situations, to be really confident in fron of ANY audience - knowing that I've been heckled, that I've had to deal with crazies and drunks and all that, that I've gotten through technical difficulties and angry boyfriends and a lot of other things, makes it easier to perform with a bit of authority.

One thing that'll test any Busker is keeping your cool when someone reaches into your case and grabs a handful of bills...hasn't happened in a few years, but the last time, I was playing outside the Berkeley Bart Station (that's the Subway hereabouts).

Scrawny little Waif thought I wasn't watching her approach, but I knew what she was up to from across the square. She sure looked like it hurt when I dropped my brass-bodied guitar on her hand. Took off FAST. But I think it just made her sore to realise she was that obvious.

I never let go the guitar neck, never missed a beat, just bounced it back up into my lap and kept the groove going. A few listeners caught the action and laughed.

The first time would have been in the streets in Philly, and I'll have over reacted, yelled, shook my fist, lost control of the moment...
dgdgbd
Regular

Postby rickusesdrz » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:24 am

I been payin em for a long time - still am - I remember all those drives to Chicago to play with Sam Lay and Carey Bell - AC Reed - Johnny Littlejohn - Pinetop - Big Twist - Eddie Clearwater - Bob Reidy - I made 25 dollars a night - 40 bucks when we went out of chicago - I did that for about 5 years back in the 70's - I used to play american legions and lodges and teen dances in the 60's - all the heavy rock rooms in the early 70's - 5 sets a night - 6 nights a week in south florida - the 80's cover bands - the holiday inns - but of course that all led to this gig now - and it was worth it - I just finished my third tour with Walter Trout and the
Radicals - we will start a new record in Feb - before heading to Bombay India for a one night show - then off to Russia, Poland and Czech - the UK, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Holland - etc, - yeah there were some dues - but I am all paid up - and it was worth it!
rickusesdrz
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:24 pm

>I made 25 dollars a night - 40
>bucks when we went out of chicago - I did that for about 5
>years back in the 70's - I used to play american legions and
>lodges and teen dances in the 60's - all the heavy rock
>rooms in the early 70's - 5 sets a night - 6 nights a week
>in south florida - the 80's cover bands - the holiday inns -

Wow. I don't know exactly what the official definition of "paying your dues" is, but I sure don't think you have anything owing.
nizer
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:42 pm

>>Paying your dues is getting to the spot of being honest, following your heart, and not concerning yourself with worldly things.

Walter, you're a poet and a gentleman. Write a book.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:58 am

houndog
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:37 pm

That's cool stuff, Lovat. I half expected you to be the grandson picking the reporter up at the airport, not some chap named Simpson.

Any relation?

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:31 pm

Hello Icemam,
isn't it a great story,I don't know if you know about Aly Bain(fiddle) and Phil Cunningham(accordion).Phil play penny whistle on a couple of Bonnie Raitt tracks.

Anyway Aly's Shetland guitar player Peerie Willy Johnson was another swing player who picked up short wave radio from the States.

Aly's piano player was a great and very straight player called Violet Tulloch, think of your music teacher at school on piano on a Saturday night...beautiful. Now that may be a relation on my Ma's side..

Thomas Fraser is no relation that I know of,as my lot came from the mid and east of the Highlands,but you never can tell.

I will get the cd and let you know how it sounds.

How these guys worked all day and still picked up a guitar at night...mind you that is probably what kept them going.That and the whisky.

What won't be apparent from the blurb is that like the Delta the Scottish Islands were very conservative, part of his shyness was that he would be judged harshly for playing C+W/swing....until Saturday night ;)

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:55 pm

>>>Paying your dues is getting to the spot of being honest, following your heart, and not concerning yourself with worldly things.
>
> Walter, you're a poet and a gentleman. Write a book.
>Jim
> http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues

HI Jim: I am writing a book with an author from england. We talk on the phone, and I record it, send it to him, and he transcribes it, with his twist. It has been going on for about a year and 1/2, and we are getting close to finishing it. I have to proof read the rough version, but am having trouble doing this. Reading about ones life, when it was a screwed up one, brings up alot of old, sad feelings. Once I get through reading it, we should be close to finishing. A segement of the book is slated to be published in a UK magazine this winter or spring. I can't rememeber the name of it, but the editor is the head of the BBC in Ireland, if I remember correct. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:38 pm

Well, you'll have to get it over in the states for me, as I've only been to the UK once. How much for the autographed copy? ;)
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:10 pm

> Well, you'll have to get it over in the states for me, as
>I've only been to the UK once. How much for the autographed
>copy? ;)
>Jim
> http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues

I live in California, and when we get a publisher, I will let you know. I have no idea what a book goes for. I read very little............ :) Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:22 pm

I just read this topic last night instead of going to sleep on time. I gotta say I love when you guys get into it! It got me to thinking about what paying your dues means really. There is something about a person who has really paid their dues that you don't even have to ask. Maybe a humbleness born from tears that gives that person the ability to feel other people's pain. That's the blues "I feel your pain" thing. Arrogance and judgement towards others who are going through things might mean you might have a few more dues to pay. I don't think age has that much to do with it always. My daughter has a friend I'll call David (that's his name) and he came up and was supposed to fix my computer but all we ended up doing was playing guitar most of the night. This guy can play and he's 16. I don't mean like all these SRV imitators with all the chops and no real feel but they're prodigies, or the shredders (Sorry, it just gets old to me.) When David was in elementary school his mom got cancer and he and his brother left school and cared for her for several years. Glad to say she's alive and well. He has a killer sense of humor and compassion. I told my daughter if she marries him I can come and visit the kids and David and I can play guitar just like this. She said that's exactly why she won't do it. He taught me drop D tuning and some System of A Down and Roller Coaster. So fun. There's all kinds of ways we pay dues. But again the best musicians I've met have been humble and kind. And they know about Grace.
lorilu
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:30 am

Well, I'm a young'un compared to some of you guys playing, rambling and gigging for 30+ years. And as a musician I'm humbled by it.

I think there's indeed two ways of looking at this:

Paying your dues in music, being on the road, getting experience playing in bands and/or solo, entertaining audiences, and all the hardship that goes with it.

I think I'll probably never finish paying for those dues, but I'm okay with that. Depends what you want to do with your music. I play mostly for my own enjoyment, whilst doing the occasional solo gig or jam at parties.

The other way of paying your dues, is to pay your dues in life. Everybody pays those. But I find these are even more important, because that's where you get the inspiration from to play your music or to write your songs. And the more of life's dues you pay... The better you understands this thing we call blues.

I just have a much better understanding of what some of these old blues guys are singing about now. I get the emotions behind those tunes a lot better now.

And in turn I find it makes me a better player. My practice sessions nowadays focus much more on phrasing than technique. And trying to get a message across.
guitarsmurf
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues