real blues VS Fake blues?......

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: real blues VS Fake blues?......

Postby JLHooker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm

If we all liked the same thing,we'd be chasing the same wimmen.Personally, I like them big leg wimmen that Muddy sang about.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

I've always wanted to throw a rope up the south face of a German lady discus thrower. There's actually one or two pretty ones.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Maxx,

Good to see someone injecting reality into this debate!

"I got dem East German lady discus thrower blues..........."
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby s1120 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:54 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:[Anyhow, if you're looking for some real post-'60s blues that fits your own narrow definition here's a best guess of some stuff you should look for:

Rule Burnside
Jesse Mae Hemphill
Jimmy "Duck" Holmes
Robert Belfour
Big Jack Johnson (R.I.P.)
Cedric Burnside & Lightnin' Malcolm

Should keep you happy for a while.

Or check out our varyown Bottleneck John a member here at this very web fourm!!!
s1120
Regular

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 am

Does this comment suggest that you actually went to a pub expecting to see Fred McDowell or Skip James?? :blink:

yes i was, and i tell you i was so upset to see they were not there.

Also they said they were going to have a tour of stovall plantation too, which turned out to be a quick walk around the beer garden.

STFU :roll:
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 am

rustyslide wrote:
farmaz wrote:these people now a days take anything & call it blues, All this monkey jump music aint blues

I believe it's "monkey junk" that you're looking for.

alanc wrote:What privilege for eveyone to meet the arbiter of what is 'real' and what is 'fake' !

That gives me an idea. You win the 'newbie of the year' award, as well, by the way.

Does this comment suggest that you actually went to a pub expecting to see Fred McDowell or Skip James??

Yeah, farmaz, you're setting yourself up for disappointment if there hasn't been any real blues since 1960.

thanks for clearing up that issue over monkey......

I have a issue some times getting what sonhouse says in interview's as his accent aint a Black Country UK Accent :wink:
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:44 am

ok you lot just dont get what i mean.

I dont class some white guy in his 40's dressed in nike playing a fender plugged into a marshall amp, playing chicago blues as PROPER blues.

I am a white uk guy, i just want to make this clear, but i really dont think white guys can play proper blues, and also IMO to play blues, you gotta KNOW about blues. You gotta know what a hard life is 90% of these chicago lovers aint had a hard life they know nothing of what the old timers had to do. How many people these days worked on a levee camp, worked on the stovall plantation or been under "a man named Captian jack, he will write his name up & down ya back" :wink:

The only white guy i ever heard that can play with 70% of the "feeling" of those old levee camp guys is seasick steve & thats only on his 1st lp. He aint no genius of blues by far but his getting there IMO.

proper blues to me is some rough looking black guy from the deep south,looking like sonhouse crossed with furry lewis, hands & fingers all twisted up from barre chords, playing a national steel / cigarbox guitar with a slide tuned to D.
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby s1120 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:11 am

I am a white uk guy, i just want to make this clear, but i really dont think white guys can play proper blues, and also IMO to play blues, you gotta KNOW about blues. You gotta know what a hard life is 90% of these chicago lovers aint had a hard life they know nothing of what the old timers had to do. How many people these days worked on a levee camp, worked on the stovall plantation or been under "a man named Captian jack, he will write his name up & down ya back"

Well, I guess I respectfully disagree... Doesnt matter your color, or where you grew up. There is pain and suffering in life other then being repressed in a plantation somewere down south. A 40 year old white guy can have brushes with the law, had a woman rip there heart out, been wrongged by a best friend, had loved ones die, taken the wrong path, been put down by the "bossman"....Is it all the same topics as them old songs.... not always, but sometimes.... wether it is or not, blues and dispair can take place in a sub division as well as a farmers field.
s1120
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:42 am

It's a good thing Yo-Yo Ma and Leontyne Price were privileged white Europeans enabling them to perform classical and operatic music so well.

(Yes, I know Ma is European)

farmaz wrote:STFU

You need a thicker skin.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby alanc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am

farmaz wrote:
Does this comment suggest that you actually went to a pub expecting to see Fred McDowell or Skip James?? :blink:

yes i was, and i tell you i was so upset to see they were not there.

Also they said they were going to have a tour of stovall plantation too, which turned out to be a quick walk around the beer garden.

STFU :roll:

Mmmmm, thanks for the "STFU" Farmaz, I guess I'm completely put in my place by your well considered response. One more observation from me... Is a "white guy in his 40's dressed in nike playing a fender plugged into a marshall amp" more false than a "white guy from the West Midlands" trying to write in an american accent? Just wondering ... now i'll STFU having realised the erorr of my ways.
alanc
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm sure that most of us get the point that this thread is about but its just an opinion and not worth aguing about.Everybody has one!
JLHooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 pm

farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:36 pm

[quote="rustyslide"]It's a good thing Yo-Yo Ma and Leontyne Price were privileged white Europeans enabling them to perform classical and operatic music so well.

You know what..listen to what sonhouse says & then HEAR WHAT Paul Butterfield says about his life, some rich Jew kid & he says himself he aint NO sonhouse, he says he cant play like sonhouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIrx3M5aLL0

Case proven i think :wink:

the issue is i bet most of you lot here slagging me off are rich middle class people that aint never known blues, you just play what you heard, When you hear fred mcdowell do levee camp moan & he says about working old bess & old Lou you can feel the music in your blood.
some nice well off white guy dont know jack IMO
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 pm

alanc wrote: more false than a "white guy from the West Midlands" trying to write in an american accent? Just wondering ... now i'll STFU having realised the erorr of my ways.

about time you shut up too :wink:

when have i been " trying to write in an american accent?"

You want me to type in uk street slang?........Hey wha gwarn mush, ya shotting 'da cheese today blud?.....Dem fassy 'ole's doing me wick ya gets me blud.

I got some serious black country "yam-yam" chat for you too, if you want a example......
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby Disciple » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Dude your spouting the same sort of judgmental ignorant attitude and opinion that put those bluesmen you love so much in the frame of mind that resulted in those blues they created.

So in a generation or so if you work this position of yours hard enough maybe you'll be credited for inspiring the next "genuine" blues music.

In light of what is going on elsewhere; Will Japan or Libya be the source of the next great blues renaissance?

If not then what about New Orleans and Katrina is that not enough?

How do you explain Buddy Guy, raised in cotton country during the tail end of segregation, his family, "workers" on plantations and all he has to say about that period was that he was treated well, that it wasn't the source of oppression for him.

Or R L Burnside, he owned the farm and worked it first and played blues second. He sure seems to have "it".

I'd suggest you cultivate as much knowledge about the 90 percent of Blues you seem to be discrediting as you have about a handful of artists from the middle years of the blues and then comeback here with a credible argument.

None of your hero's would ever make the kind of comments you are making. Something certain about the blues I've learned is it's humble and it's creators are too.
Disciple
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues