Page 1 of 1

Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm
by farmaz
I just found this guy on youtube, got a voice to match sonhouse IMO

He got some loose bottleneck skills too, I cant believe i never heard of this guy, if that tune i linked below is anything to go by I just found myself a new fred mcdowell or skip james, this tune makes my blood run cold.

Any info on his releases, LP/EP/live MP3's etc etc is gladly recived. Well anything to do with him I will be glad for tbh

I'm a-looking for my Baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8Yn0Z ... ture=feedu

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm
by maxx england
Nice stuff. You coming to Slidefest in Coventry?

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am
by farmaz
maxx england wrote:Nice stuff. You coming to Slidefest in Coventry?


you got any info on it please (slidefest)
Coventry is only a short train ride away from me & if its some slidefest I am there, just hope its all national steel slidework :wink:


you being serious about that being a good tune?........I had never heard the guy before & i played the video & was like WTF is this!

the guy can play, i love that sound the slide makes when it shakes on the strings, kinda sounds like 1 of those old cars you had to hand crank.

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:43 am
by farmaz
ow BTW Max England, i found this guy a few weeks ago & he plays a serious bottleneck

the gohst of blind willie johnson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uX74jx-Tsw

The riff he does from motherless children have a hard time is amazing, no singing just pure sldie work & he plays loose :wink:

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 am
by Ben Covington
farmaz wrote:I'm a-looking for my Baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8Yn0Z ... ture=feedu
Try here for info on recordings http://www.wirz.de/music/johhefrm.htm

More can be found in the long out of print book Living Country Blues by Harry Oster about whom see

http://www.wirz.de/music/osterfrm.htm

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm
by farmaz
Ben Covington wrote:
farmaz wrote:I'm a-looking for my Baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8Yn0Z ... ture=feedu
Try here for info on recordings http://www.wirz.de/music/johhefrm.htm

More can be found in the long out of print book Living Country Blues by Harry Oster about whom see

http://www.wirz.de/music/osterfrm.htm


A huge thanks, it seems to me the deeper you look nito blues music you keep seeing a few names pop up every time. The loamx's are an example & also is this Harry Oster, as far as i know he was THE GUY who found another blues hero of mine Robert Pete Williams

Robert Pete Williams - Sinner don`t you know - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGBuUS1KPs

Scrap Iron blues & little documentry on robert pete williams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AdhY7XQ ... re=related

I have the Blue as a man can be LP recorded in "Angola prison" (sp?) the same place lead belly was locked up. This Harry oster wrote the album sleeve notes. From what i can gather about him, he was a kinda lomax person going from jail to jail trying to record original & old "rural blues" people before the style was swallowed up by rock & roll.


Thanks for that info btw, i'm just about to have a hunt through it :wink:

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 am
by Ben Covington
farmaz wrote:A huge thanks, it seems to me the deeper you look nito blues music you keep seeing a few names pop up every time. The loamx's are an example & also is this Harry Oster, as far as i know he was THE GUY who found another blues hero of mine Robert Pete Williams
I guess Oster's most notable 'discovery' was Snooks Eaglin who in mid 50s had recorded with Sugar Boy Crawford for Checker :

http://www.wirz.de/music/eaglfrm.htm

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 am
by farmaz
Ben Covington wrote:
farmaz wrote:A huge thanks, it seems to me the deeper you look nito blues music you keep seeing a few names pop up every time. The loamx's are an example & also is this Harry Oster, as far as i know he was THE GUY who found another blues hero of mine Robert Pete Williams
I guess Oster's most notable 'discovery' was Snooks Eaglin who in mid 50s had recorded with Sugar Boy Crawford for Checker :

http://www.wirz.de/music/eaglfrm.htm



that guy was blind right?......i got him playing a 12 string on a CD if i got the name right.

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 am
by Ben Covington
farmaz wrote:[ that guy was blind right?......
Snooks Eaglin was, yes.

He recorded using both 6 and 12 string. He started his recording career using electric in mid 50s, turned to acoustic for Oster and in 1961 went back to electric.

Re: Herman E Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am
by rustyslide
farmaz wrote:
maxx england wrote:Nice stuff. You coming to Slidefest in Coventry?


you got any info on it please (slidefest)


http://www.facebook.com/Slidefest.UK.SlideGuitar.Festival

Looks like Maxx missed this.