Movie review - Lightning in a Bottle

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Movie review - Lightning in a Bottle

Postby Freeman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 pm

I know this should be in the electric section but I'm an acoustic guy so I'm going to put it here. We had heard about this on NPR and put it in our Netflix que - it took a long time to become available. A one night show at Radio City Music hall in NY with one song each by some of the most incredible living blues players today - Buddy Guy and BB and Bonnie Raitte and Robert Cray and Mary Gray, Dr John and Jimmy Vaughn and Nataline Cole (I think of her singing her dad's stuff but what an incredible blues woman). The list goes on - I think I probably listed half of them.

Highly recommended, but you might have to wait a while before we send this one back.
Freeman
Regular

Re: Movie review - Lightning in a Bottle

Postby ricbleu » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Freeman. That movie played at a film festival here in NZ some years ago and I tracked down the dvd. It's absolutely a MUST HAVE. Right from that opening African song by that gorgeous woman with the super gorgeous voice, it was compelling. I've watched it several times and now that you mention it, I feel the need for more of it , more, more....
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 pm

I saw it a couple of years ago, and would like to see it again. I loved Cray's performance on that. I actually saw him a couple weeks ago, front row tickets for $35. And I'm actually listening to him right now.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:22 am

Love the DVD, but it starts out utterly fantastic gets worse as it goes on. I don't know which particular piece marks the change, but by the end I'm feeling 'meh'.

Didn't like 'Voodoo Chile' and really thought the "boom boom" protest rap was dreadful.

The bonus cuts are mostly great - really liked Mos Def and Aerosmith. Joe Perry just kills it.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to Talking Blues